Axis Deer

Curtis

A good friend of mine took this axis deer on Saturday morning, August 20, 2005 with a 300 Savage. We hunted for 3 days and finally came up on this guy. He's not real big on beam length - 27", but he's got some great mass and 11" browtines. He is a 3 1/2" year old deer. Dressed out(guts out only) it weighed 162 lbs. These deer have a lot of good meat on them.

This was her first Axis deer and she was really excited. She has a spinal injury that sometimes keeps her in a wheelchair because of the pain. She was lucky enough for this trip that she did not need it. One day she may not be able to hunt because of this injury so she cherrishes every hunt even more. She used to bow hunt but can now only hunt with a crossbow or rifle. This was a great accomplishment for her as you can tell by the smile on her face.

316826.jpg

I'm glad she can still get out and enjoy what she can before she's laid up permanently...

It doesn't do a body good to live with the woulda/shoulda/couldas....

Congrats to your friend... :D

Its pretty country too! It sounds like a hunt to remember for sure. Congratulations to both of you! Got more pictures? That's a nice axis too.

Here is another photo angle that will show more of the side of the Axis. Ya gotta love that dark stripe and all those spots. When your hunting these deer you litterally pick a spot on the kill zone, aim for the opposite elbow, and shoot. :)

If I remember correctly the mount she choose was a new form that came out for Axis deer this year. I forget who makes it but it shows a lot more shoulder for a pedastal mount. More so than what the whitetail pedastal mounts that I have seen in the past. It should really look good for an axis mount. The rest of the cape is going to be used to make a pillow with a suede back. The meat of course is some of the best meat in the world. She's going to have a full deep freeze for sure this year. This isn't all the hunting she is going to do this year. I believe they are going to do a little whitetail hunting and turkey hunting as well when the seasons get here. I just keep hope that she will be able to get out again. Her husband hunts with her a lot and often hunt together. On this hunt he had decided to sleep in a little later because of the heat. It was just luck that we were out and back in two hours after hunting for a few days and getting nothing.

317008.jpg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back