PEAX Equipment

Awesome Montana Elk Hunt!

thecrittergitter

Well, just got back from one of the most awesome opening days of MT rifle season ever. I took my wife on her first elk hunt (hunt period) ever. One little hitch about taking mamma on an elk hunt, was that our 2 month old baby Lexi had to go with us. Wow, this was gonna be a challenge so i thought if we even saw an elk for her to shoot, i would be happy. Raghorn or not:)

Well, long story short, night before opener, we saw 17 bulls and i was just tickled to death that there were actually bulls where we were at. So next morning, we hiked in, baby and all to that far ridge we saw the bulls on. We got there before light and sat to wait for glassing. Unbelievably, i started hearing elk bugle! It was so awesome, my wife got to hear that on her first hunt. I finally started seeing elk emerging in the light and when i finally got enough light to see them, i notice nearly 40 head and over 20 of them are bulls!! We never ended up getting a shot due to the wind and i'm here to tell you, a 2 month old baby changes your ability on what you can and can't do on a hunt dramatically!!

About 1 pm that day, we ended up getting onto two bedded bulls and got within 200 yards. Lori got down and settled in. I could tell that the one that was easy to shoot, was about a 260 class bull but the one a little farther back in the timber was definately a better bull. We crawled a little ways to the left to try for a shot at him in his bed. Well, we finally found a gap and she put the hammer on him!

What an experience! Can't say i have ever had to pack "extra diapers" in my hunting pack before but we never even had to dig em out:)

I'm not sure the Mystery Ranch guys have had many pictures with the pack being used as a baby bed while the elk is gutted and cut:):)

Was my wifes first shot ever at a big game animal and she was just tickled to death.

Attachments

• Lexi Night Before.jpg
    Lexi Night Before.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 863
  • Diaper Pack.jpg
    Diaper Pack.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 870
  • Glassing with Baby.JPG
    Glassing with Baby.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 871
  • Me and Lexi.JPG
    Me and Lexi.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 858
  • Lori Bull2.jpg
    Lori Bull2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 866
  • Family 2.jpg
    Family 2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 861
  • Mystery Ranch Baby holder.JPG
    Mystery Ranch Baby holder.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 862
  • Family 3.jpg
    Family 3.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 859
My first big game animal looked something like that, too (it had fur).

Pretty impressive that you got it done with the kiddo along. Starting her out young.

Awesome stuff. Congrats. Won't be long and I'll be packin extra diapers on my hunts. Buddy told me on the weekend after I nearly biffed it in the dark in some deadfall... "Sweet move for a 42 year old!"

Once again Matt congrats to you and Lori on some of the best hunting photos I have ever seen. But don't lie, you know you packed extra diapers on the Colorado hunt for Zach:p

That's the coolest elk hunt I think I ever see. Can't imagine most women even trying that with a baby

Congrats to your wife, great pictures. She must have got fed up and decided if she wanted a vacation it would have to be on an elk hunt. :)

This is ridiculous, I can’t tell you how much is pisses me off to see people sitting on dead elk in pictures. Show some respect next time.

;)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back