Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

ATV for transportation in the field

Cammy

I have only recently purchased an ATV for use while hunting. Anyone have a way to secure an ATV while you are away from it in the field? Would hate to walk a mile back to the ATV only to find empty tracks and have to walk another 5 to camp.

I read about disc brake locks that have an alarm but would like to know if anyone else uses something to protect your investment.

I have never invested in anything, I just take my key and park it off too the side of road.... I know the stuff I leave there and usually know what camps are around where I hunt, most individuals that are hunting know that its not good too take things from people that have guns/bows/handguns..... its not hard too identify your own stuff, I feel sorry for the poor soul that decides too feel lucky and take my stuff, pretty easy too get "lost", that being said I leave my warm weather gear and bow case at the wheeler every time I leave from trailhead...
Matt

A chain through 2 wheels with a padlock might help. Hidden kill switches also help. No guarantees though.

I have a Can Am which requires specific key that matches the ecm. Some 'tards don't know this and end up jacking up the wiring harness in the process of stealing them. Glad to hear that the majority don't have issues with theft.

I have a Can Am which requires specific key that matches the ecm. Some 'tards don't know this and end up jacking up the wiring harness in the process of stealing them. Glad to hear that the majority don't have issues with theft.

...same here and yes they do.

Flatten a couple of tires before you leave it, crooks are, by nature, too lazy to steal it if they have to push it.

Nah. mtmuley's a good dude...but ATV is a Pavlovian button for high horse comments round these parts. Perfunctory if'n you aspire to the cool kids' purist club.

...sarcasm icon;)

Caught two guys on motorcycles off road,WAY off road while bear hunting last Sunday. Pissed me off. I've caught several guys on ATVs. Damn sick of it. For whatever the reason I see more abuse than legal use. mtmuley

Caught two guys on motorcycles off road,WAY off road while bear hunting last Sunday. Pissed me off. I've caught several guys on ATVs. Damn sick of it. For whatever the reason I see more abuse than legal use. mtmuley

...enforcing Samson is sexier than busting slobs.

My wife is worried some of the jokers I have helped prosecute over the years might retaliate in some way. Just like an illegal offroader to get mad at me for their mistake. Hasn't happened yet, I may retaliate back if it does. mtmuley

I typically just pull a few yards off the road, preferably in some cover and take the key.

You could chain your ATV to a rock or a tree, but I have a feeling if someone is gonna go through the work of stealing your machine those may not stop them.

I've never had an issue. Then again my ATV is a 20 year old Honda Recon. So maybe my best advice is to drive an old, ugly, and beat-up ATV and if someone steals it you'll only be out hundreds of dollars as opposed to thousands.:rolleyes:

So maybe my best advice is to drive an old, ugly, and beat-up ATV and if someone steals it you'll only be out hundreds of dollars as opposed to thousands.

Good advice :).. I don't even lock my 97 Ranger. I don't keep anything of value in there, so I figure if I leave the door unlocked I may avoid a busted window from those looking to steal.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back