Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Attractions in Wyoming/SD

duck wrangler

I'll be in the Gillette/Wright area to hunt the second week of October and was wondering, outside of Devils Tower and MT Rushmore, what other points of interest you guys would find interesting? My wife is travelling with me as we are driving from Virginia so we can see the country, so I will need a few stops on the way back to entertain her since she was willing to make the trip. The places can be in Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska....anywhere not too far out the way on the return trip.
I'd love to visit Jackson Hole, but it may be a little too far in the wrong direction.
Any rodeos in Wyoming that time of year? I could not find any in a google search, but think it would be really cool to see one.
I have a strong feeling that I'll need to take her somewhere to shop on the way back to compensate for her sitting in a hotel room while I hunt, so any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Lloyd

I vote for the badlands as well. Also Rushmore is under whelming IMHO, so just prepare mentally that it is smaller than you think it is.

Crazy horse is worth a drive past.

If you go to Rushmore, go to Custer (the town) and eat at the black hills burger and buns, best burger in the hills without a doubt. I recommend the Bison burger, but I tend to choose Bison over beef when the opportunity is present.

If you go through Sioux Falls, the falls are nice, but nothing amazing and depending on the year can be fairly gross from run off an pollution. Also it typically smells at the falls due to the slaughterhouse next door, so I would personally avoid it...

Wyoming football game ?
Fishing can be good that time of the year if not too cold.
You should take a drive over the Snowy Range on Highway 130 and go visit Saratoga. The drive is very pretty and Saratoga is a neat little western town, with big money.
Maybe look into renting a FS cabin for a night or two and rough it up in the mountains.

Football game is out because we will be driving on the weekends, but I have loved Nebraska Football since the 80's, so a detour through Lincoln on the way back could be on the list. I'd just like to see the stadium.
My wife is not exactly a rough it kind of girl; she prefers a beach over mountains. I hope to change her after this trip!
So far, it seems the badlands, deadwood, rushmore, devils tower, crazy horse memorial may be on the list and all in a similar route.
Maybe Wall Drug based on what I hear about their advertising!

Thanks for the suggestions

I second Black Hills Burger and Bun in Custer, my family still talks about that place a couple years later.

I'll be in the Gillette/Wright area to hunt the second week of October and was wondering, outside of Devils Tower and MT Rushmore, what other points of interest you guys would find interesting? My wife is travelling with me as we are driving from Virginia so we can see the country, so I will need a few stops on the way back to entertain her since she was willing to make the trip. The places can be in Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska....anywhere not too far out the way on the return trip.
I'd love to visit Jackson Hole, but it may be a little too far in the wrong direction.
Any rodeos in Wyoming that time of year? I could not find any in a google search, but think it would be really cool to see one.
I have a strong feeling that I'll need to take her somewhere to shop on the way back to compensate for her sitting in a hotel room while I hunt, so any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Lloyd
Deadwood has some really neat antique stores that the wife enjoyed. Also you can dress up and get your picture taken at the saloon. There are cabins outside of town for an over night stay. Head East on 90 and check out Wall Drug next to the interstate.

https://www.cam-plex.com/events. It looked like a barrel racing event the 10th of October in Gillette if that was any interest. The county fairs and those kinds of things are kindof done with. The hockey team looked like it was out of town until the 18th of October. If its nice weather, there are some kindof nice beachy areas at Keyhole Res. and some fishing. Its not a Hawaiian beach by any stretch, but its nice. You can drive by some giant strip coal mines between Gillette and Wright, pretty much any road to the east off of HWY 59 from Bishop Road to South of Wright will go right to them. Hilight road to HWY 450 is kindof a nice drive through the prairie right past some mines. Sometimes the buffalo are right off of the highway from the big buffalo ranches between Gillette and Wright.

Last edited:
If you have never been to Yellowstone it is certainly worth the time and effort to visit. Your wife will probably like a nice room at the Snow Lodge with a view of Old Faithful for a day or so.

Be sure to stop at Wall Drug for your free ice water.

If you’re going to Deadwood, I’d stop at Lewies burgers and brew in Lead. Black hills burger and buns does have a good burger, but it’d be a stretch to say they’re better than Lewie’s.
Zach

I second Custer State Park, you could continue south and go through Wind Cave National Park too. There are a lot of buffalo, deer, and antelope that you can see in both parks. I grew up in a small town just to the south of both of them called Hot Springs which is a very historic downtown with lots of old red sandstone architecture and a great natural warm springs pool called "Evan's Plunge."

I think a lot of the buffalo are going to be gone from Custer state park in October. The round up is the 27th of September I think. But it would still be worth it to drive the wildlife loop and needles highway.

thermopolis wy. dinosaur museums and hot springs.
badlands national park
devils tower
custer natl park
wind cave natl park
niobrara grasslands in neb.

as mentioned above.
- If going through Aladdin, Wyoming on the way back from Devil's Tower stop at Cindy B's for a good meal and pie :) (incredible biscuits and gravy).
- I really like Rushmore. Take the time to walk around the paths to get the full visualization.
- Crazy Horse is a "RIP OFF". Don't pay the money to get in. NOT worth it.
- Badlands are a must in my book.
- Devils tower.... walk all the way around.
- in the Black Hills... I liked Bear Country USA and Reptile gardens (kinda tourist attractions, however, fun... at least one time)
- Custer Park.... take Ritz crackers... the wild burros really like them from your hand ;)
- Wind Cave is cool (in more ways then one)
- Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. Never been there but others like it.

Good luck and have a fun trip.
the dog

A lot of good suggestions... Kinda depends on what your wife likes to do too - lot of outdoor stuff to do in the black hills area - though that time of year weather can be fickle? Could be 70 and sunny or the Hills could be getting 4" of snow.... You mentioned shopping - the Rapid City Downtown area is pretty nice - good for an afternoon or evening at least. Lot of cool little shops, restaurants and little things to do like the Presidents sculpture walk.... The 1880 train that runs from Hills City to Keystone is fun - she may enjoy that.

Reactions: ZBB
I second Custer State Park, you could continue south and go through Wind Cave National Park too. There are a lot of buffalo, deer, and antelope that you can see in both parks. I grew up in a small town just to the south of both of them called Hot Springs which is a very historic downtown with lots of old red sandstone architecture and a great natural warm springs pool called "Evan's Plunge."

I love hot springs. We spent a week in the black hills a couple years ago and Hot Springs / Angistora state park was our base camp. Better town than Custer, IMO. Not too bad for a starting point for day trips around the hills either.

Back