Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Attractions in Wyoming/SD

Not sure how far you want to drive west, but the Little Bighorn Battlefield where Custer met his demise would be a couple hundred miles west of the SD-WY border on I90 just into Montana.

ClearCreek

On a family vacation one year we stayed in a little town called Wasta. It was like a time capsule. The pool at the motel we stayed in doubled as the community pool on certain days of the week. We ate at this cool little place called the Packard Cafe.

If you are going through Hill City SD (just west of Rushmore) there are a couple/few wineries. If your wife likes wine it would be worth stopping for a tasting.

I'll be in the Gillette/Wright area to hunt the second week of October and was wondering, outside of Devils Tower and MT Rushmore, what other points of interest you guys would find interesting? My wife is travelling with me as we are driving from Virginia so we can see the country, so I will need a few stops on the way back to entertain her since she was willing to make the trip. The places can be in Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska....anywhere not too far out the way on the return trip.
I'd love to visit Jackson Hole, but it may be a little too far in the wrong direction.
Any rodeos in Wyoming that time of year? I could not find any in a google search, but think it would be really cool to see one.
I have a strong feeling that I'll need to take her somewhere to shop on the way back to compensate for her sitting in a hotel room while I hunt, so any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Lloyd
Crazy Woman Canyon was/is beautiful.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. I need to take a minute to map out the suggestions to map out a return trip home.
If the hunt goes well, we will start back on Wed am and have until Sunday to get back to Va. That being the case, we should have an extra night or two to stay in Wy or SD along the route home.

Lloye

If your wife loves chocolate as much as mine does, make sure to swing by the Chubby Chipmunk in Deadwood. Their chocolate is pretty amazing. While there, have dinner at the Deadwood Social Club. The Smoked pheasant is one of my required meals whenever i am in the area.

Stop by Ft Robinson State Park in Nebraska. Lots of amazing history was made there, crazy horse dies there, dances with wolves filmed nearby, etc... It's not busy, very relaxing. Hudson Ming, and Toadstool are nearby and worth a visit.

Hot Springs South Dakota is nice, Mammoth site, wild horse refuge, hot spring, Cottonwood reservoir, etc.. are all enjoyable.

I'd also recommend visiting the sandhills if you have never been. Valentine is a good place to do that.

Beware of the reservations in that area. Do not go have lunch in Pine Ridge or on the Rosebud.

I have been looking online at hotels in Deadwood; the rates drop tremendously in Oct!
I'm thinking of staying at least one night there just to see the town.

It's not far from where we are staying Wyoming, but it should give us time to visit Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower etc..

Anyone stayed in Deadwood and have a hotel recommendation?

That's because hardly anyone is there. We stopped overnight last year at the end of Sept on our way back from Yellowstone and had the town to ourselves. We stayed at the Best Western since I get the points but I'd recommend somewhere else, the hotel was pretty dated.

I'll be in the Gillette/Wright area to hunt the second week of October and was wondering, outside of Devils Tower and MT Rushmore, what other points of interest you guys would find interesting? My wife is travelling with me as we are driving from Virginia so we can see the country, so I will need a few stops on the way back to entertain her since she was willing to make the trip. The places can be in Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska....anywhere not too far out the way on the return trip.
I'd love to visit Jackson Hole, but it may be a little too far in the wrong direction.
Any rodeos in Wyoming that time of year? I could not find any in a google search, but think it would be really cool to see one.
I have a strong feeling that I'll need to take her somewhere to shop on the way back to compensate for her sitting in a hotel room while I hunt, so any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Lloyd

Please call the town Jackson and not Jackson Hole.

I have been looking online at hotels in Deadwood; the rates drop tremendously in Oct!
I'm thinking of staying at least one night there just to see the town.

It's not far from where we are staying Wyoming, but it should give us time to visit Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower etc..

Anyone stayed in Deadwood and have a hotel recommendation?
Cadillac Jacks is nice, a little ways from Main Street but you can take the trolly. The holiday in next to the old style is nice. And the franklin hotel is nice. It’s a historic building so the rooms might be kind of cool. The Silverado has all you can eat crab and prime rib on fridays and Saturday’s, kind of expensive, I try and offset that with eating several pounds of prime rib and feeling like shit for a day or two. Deadwood mountain grand is nice and they may have a concert or something going on. The lodge in deadwood is a nice hotel with a pretty good restaurant, but it’s not in walking distance to downtown. There’s quite a few nice hotels, and finding a room shouldn’t be a problem in October.

Cadillac Jacks is nice, a little ways from Main Street but you can take the trolly. The holiday in next to the old style is nice. And the franklin hotel is nice. It’s a historic building so the rooms might be kind of cool. The Silverado has all you can eat crab and prime rib on fridays and Saturday’s, kind of expensive, I try and offset that with eating several pounds of prime rib and feeling like shit for a day or two. Deadwood mountain grand is nice and they may have a concert or something going on. The lodge in deadwood is a nice hotel with a pretty good restaurant, but it’s not in walking distance to downtown. There’s quite a few nice hotels, and finding a room shouldn’t be a problem in October.
So far, the Lodge in Deadwood seems to be where the wife would like to stay. I left it up to her since she tolerates my hunting habit! I'll probably set up a massage for her somewhere in Deadwood for brownie points.

During the meal do you jump up and down to pack the stuff you've already eaten so you can eat more? Heard it said, but never seen it done.

I think a lot of the buffalo are going to be gone from Custer state park in October. The round up is the 27th of September I think. But it would still be worth it to drive the wildlife loop and needles highway.
The buffalo don't leave the park. They are sorted and vaccinated and turned back out after the round-up. Some are kept back for sale at the auction, but most are turned loose the day after the round-up.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back