Caribou Gear

Attention Idaho speak now!

Elkmagnet

We need you at the legislature this Monday, Feb. 29 at 1:30 p.m. A joint hearing is scheduled with the House & Senate Resource Committees in the
The scheduled hearing is about how some in the Idaho legislature (and in Utah) want to lock us out of our public lands and waste our tax dollars on a frivolous lawsuit.
This is about more than just public lands.
By holding this hearing, the legislature is directly calling sportsmen out.
Last year sportsmen raised our voices at the legislature. We held a highly visible rally on the steps of the capitol. We beat back bills on public lands transfer and won in the press. We stopped a number of bad amendments seeking to corrupt a necessary fee increase for our IDFG. We took a loss on the menigeal worm rule, but we went down swinging.
Now senate resources is calling our bluff. Make no mistake, they don’t believe we have what it takes to fight over the long haul.
This is same the committee trying to ram auction tags down our throats.
This is the committee dead set on undermining our IDFG commission and ignoring the will of Idaho sportsmen.
This is committee chairman who wants to see sportsman opportunity – in the form of elk tags – transferred to landowners for profit.
Monday's hearing is not about public lands, it is about respect.
It’s about sportsmen paying our fair share and deserving a fair shake.
It’s about preserving fishing and hunting opportunity for our kids and grandkids and calling out legislators for these laughable shenanigans designed to line their own pockets.
This hearing is about standing up for our IDFG, the agency that we fund and count on to preserve our fish and wildlife.
It’s about standing up for our commission, who could teach the legislature much about transparency and understanding the will of their constituency.
Meet with other sportsmen at 1 p.m in the park across from the capitol

Last edited:
Tell the Utards to worry about screwing up their own state and to leave everyone else out of their shenanigans.

Thanks for posting this. Is there a sportsmen's organization arranging the gathering in the park, or is it informal word-of-mouth? I'm not too familiar with that area, can you post driving and parking directions?

Wish I could have gotten down there but it looks like they have a pretty good showing getting ready for the hearing.

I was a little late, had to sit in the overflow. Good to see the diversity of groups rallying to protect our public lands.

Wish I could have gotten down there but it looks like they have a pretty good showing getting ready for the hearing.

The Lincoln auditorium was filled, its capacity is 317 + 25-30 in the overflow.
Im not surprised at how many half truths were told I'm surprised at how many outright lies were told.

I feel dirty I'm going to go take a shower.

I was a little late, had to sit in the overflow. Good to see the diversity of groups rallying to protect our public lands.

Magnet and I were in the overflow as well. It was fascinating to actually be there to hear what these Utah representatives actually have to say live vs. reading about it on hunttalk and other forums.

It was a bit comical that the first speaker mentioned the publics misconception that the transfer of federal lands to Utah would not affect public access in the future or result in the sales of public land. The next speaker then proceeded to inform us about the Trillions of dollars that Utah is missing out on due to natural resources. I loved how the first gal questioned this. It really seemed like the women asking questions had a better handle on the situation then the men did.

Thanks for informing us Magnet.

Great job on the turnout, wish I could have made it; was there a head count taken on what state reps were in attendance? Seems like it might be good idea to contact a few of them and let them know the people aren't pleased

I knew we were in for a sh*t show today as soon as the first speaker told everyone that Utah would never do anything to limit the public's access...

It really seemed like the women asking questions had a better handle on the situation then the men did.

Who was she? I kept trying to read her name but never caught it. She deserves some recognition for her efforts.

A few things I learned .
1. The Forrest service/blm doesn't maintain any roads in Utah therefore there will be no difference in transportation budget.
2. Mining will not restrict hunting or recreation on the sight.
3. We should throw our good money after Utah's bad money because the lawyer who is receiving said money thinks he found a loophole he can stretch into a black hole.

Unfortunately I think there strategy of choice is a good.
Telling a room full of political ego's that they will never be as powerful as there eastern colleagues until they have full control over public lands within the state is a insult and a challenge that clouds the subject.
At least they were smart enough to point out the state police security detail before calling us a scared vocal minority.

Anyway thanks for the company Fowladdict and sorry I didn't get to meet you OwyheeHunter.

Great job on the turnout, wish I could have made it; was there a head count taken on what state reps were in attendance? Seems like it might be good idea to contact a few of them and let them know the people aren't pleased

Good question.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back