ATOM Broadheads

mlbuck84

I brought these broadheads up on HUNTBUX thread the other day. But I wanted to repost and see if anyone has any first hand experience using them. A guy I bought a wall tent from out here in california says he used them in Colorado elk hunting and swore by them. Here is the link to the website if this is the first you've heard of them.

www.arrowds.com/atom/atom.htm

I have a friend in Wyoming that uses and swears by them as well. I really like the concept and don't see why they wouldn't be deadly. He has taken like 3 elk 2 antelope and some deer I believe. He shoots out at a farther range than I and he says they are incredibly accurate. I kind of forgot about them until you mentioned it. Makes me want to try them again.

Well thats 2 sources of good info. I appreciate the reply, I think i'll buy some

incredibly accurate. nice concept. one of the loudest broadheads I have ever tried. they whistle like no ones business. sounds like the beginning of the old andy griffith show. shot some inside the old workshop, and could hear them clearly as they sailed. never hunted with them. think I still have a couple around somewhere.

I tested them shortly after they first came out. Accurate and consistent arrow flight, however as noted above; VERY loud. I could deal with that, but the real test came when I used them on a wild hog hunt. I arrowed a boar with one and did not get complete penetration. In fact, I had to arrow the hog with a second arrow (with a reliable head I carried just in case) . Upon inspection of the head while inside the chest cavity, three of the razor wires were no longer attached to the ferrel of the head. Definitely not something I will shoot again. Could it have killed the hog? Maybe......maybe not. I simply didn't like the fact the razor wire "blades" disengaged from the body of the head. In my opinion, there are far too many reliable heads out there that fly just as well as the ATOM to take a chance. Of course that's just my experience with them.

I know a guy who runs hog hunting ranches who swears by them. That circle wire supposedly cuts going both directions once its in.

I'm with BOHNTR. Too gimmicky. I handled one and dismissed it right away. Stick with something that has a proven design. Real blades and a strong ferrule.

nice video, but every video about a product out there is going to show the good. not saying they don't work, but not willing to take the chance. let me know if you want to try them. if so, will see if I can find the ones I have. can send them to you for whatever the postage is. that way, you can try them for next to nothing.

had the same issue with the razors coming out when shooting them. was shooting them into 4 inch thick styrofoam panels. 10-12 panels for 40-48 inch total thickness.

I had my hands on a few right when they came out as well that I got for free. I decided I'd take them to the range one day, shot it into a broad head target and all of the razor wires broke off. I tried the second one and got the same result. Emailed the guy I got them from and he told me they shoot just like field points and to not bother shooting them at targets.

Needless to say I never used them again. I would like to practice with my heads before I start flinging them at animals....and I didn't trust a broad head that wouldn't hold up after one shot into foam.....didn't make me fell good about hitting a rib with them.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back