Ask your onX Hunt questions here!

I think my subscription has expired, but I am not sure how to verify it. Help?

Tnx.
Tap the three lines in the upper left corner of your phone screen. Under your email it will say either Premium or Elite User, or Basic User. If it says Basic User, your Membership has expired.

You do not need to purchase Offroad to view the map on your vehicle screen. If you have an Apple device, it should show up on your dash screen when you connect your phone. Android auto is not available just yet, but it is coming soon.
Thanks for the reply - I have OnX open on my apple device and will plug it into the vehicle, but does not show up on my screen/Uconnect. Spotify and other applications come through like usual but haven't been able to get OnX to work.

When will the maps be updated? I hunt an area that has had fires and significant brush hog work done in the last several years but none of this shows up on the current maps.

Thanks for the reply - I have OnX open on my apple device and will plug it into the vehicle, but does not show up on my screen/Uconnect. Spotify and other applications come through like usual but haven't been able to get OnX to work.
Can you double check that you are on the most up to date version of the App. Sometimes if you are on an older version, the app will fail to show on your screen. If you're still not seeing it there, your best bet is to send us an email at [email protected] and we'll be able to dig in a little deeper and get things figured out for you.

When will the maps be updated? I hunt an area that has had fires and significant brush hog work done in the last several years but none of this shows up on the current maps.
It depends on your area, as our regular imagery provider typically captures new imagery for about 1/3 of the country a year, so imagery being 2-3 years behind is typical. However, we're working on some new imagery options that will be updated much more often (like more along the lines of a monthly basis). I don't have a specific ETA for you on the new imagery options that are coming, but we hope to have that feature released very soon.

I've used OnX for 4 years now and have begun to notice a significant decrease in road data accuracy. It used to be every random two track was marked even if it wasn't real, which wasn't great. But, the latest map updates have road marking (Private) appearing on named public county roads, missing roads, and overall decrease in accurate data. I've seen a few that almost seem purposeful due to influential landowners owning nearby land. Attached is good example where MT Cadestral lists more accurate data. OnX until very recently had shown the same data.
Another good example is found here 46.80936, -109.07069. The road completely disappears on OnX yet NFS signage explicitly marks this path and NFS designates it as access to the Little Snowies.

Is there a change in source data for roads and is there anything to be done aside from going to non OnX sources? Is submitting feedback to the MapBox platform the best option for correcting missing data?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230430_143323_onX Hunt.jpg
    Screenshot_20230430_143323_onX Hunt.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230430_143412_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230430_143412_Samsung Internet.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230430_143430_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230430_143430_Samsung Internet.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 10
In an effort to improve the accuracy of our road data, we have recently been switching over to a new data source. That data source has some roads labeled as private, which is why some of those roads are labeled as such on the onX map. Unfortunately, there are no true public/private road datasets out there like their are for public and private lands. We are able to use some state, federal, and county data sources to determine which roads are maintained and receive gas tax revenue, which means they are public roads. In cases where our data source labels a road as private, we tend to follow that label, unless we have strong evidence to the contrary. As you have noted, sometimes this does result in a misclassification. As for the notion that "influential landowners" are getting public roads labeled as private, that is not the case. We would never knowingly classify a public road as a private road, for any reason.

You can always report errors that you see using the error reporting feature in the App, or by emailing [email protected]

I keep finding myself in situations where being able to shoot an azimuth with my phone and saving that on my OnX app would be incredibly valuable. Is something along these lines something we might see from the app?

I have the Premium membership - Colorado Chip. Due to good luck in the WY elk draw, I now need the WY chip. I tried to buy it but see that you can't buy two states and that I need to buy the Elite (50 state) membership. My question is, if I do that, do I need to do anything so I don't lose all of my Colorado waypoints?

I have the Premium membership - Colorado Chip. Due to good luck in the WY elk draw, I now need the WY chip. I tried to buy it but see that you can't buy two states and that I need to buy the Elite (50 state) membership. My question is, if I do that, do I need to do anything so I don't lose all of my Colorado waypoints?
if using your phone and thus the waypoints are syncing to your online account, no. just use the same login user ID email. You mentioned chip so that sounds like a standalone gps unit usage. Are you using oremium on yiur phone and have all waypoints etc on the phone?

There are some great free add-on benefits that come with elite membership, toprut.com and huntinfool are two. plus all manner of discounts with various outdoor/hunting vendors. For anyone also buying huntinfool, just that onx elite perk alone pays for Onx. I keep being surpised by friemds who have elite and dont inow about the extra perks, including a couple who where buying elite and huntinfool separately each year when the latter is offered for free…

you just missed a mothers day 30% off (I think?) sale on elite. There are other deals to be had, just look around.

Last edited:
if using your phone and thus the waypoints are syncing to your online account, no. just use the same login user ID email. You mentioned chip so that sounds like a standalone gps unit usage. Are you using oremium on yiur phone and have all waypoints etc on the phone?

There are some great free add- on benefits thatcome with elite membership, toprut.com and huntinfool are two.

you just missed a mothers day 30% off (I think?) sale on elite. There are other deals to be had, just look around.
I have Premium on my Iphone and also a standalone gps as backup with chip. Thanks for the info.

You can buy and use as many gps chips as you want. Pull the CO out and drop in the WY, all your user data on the gps is stored locally.

Remember to back up your gps data......

As to the phone, just pony up the difference. It's cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
I didn't read through all 43 pages of this thread. I hope this hasn't been asked before.

Is there a way that I can find out the date that the satellite image was taken?

Thanks

Any words on when Onx will work with Android Auto?
Unfortunately, I don't have any update on that for you. It is a priority for us to get that out as soon as possible, and we certainly want to have it available before hunting season. I will post more information in this thread as it becomes available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back