Ask your onX Hunt questions here!

I’ve noticed my gps location (blue dot) tracks so well one day. Then other days it stays grey and doesn’t track at all. Happened this weekend. Saturday was perfect. Sunday sucked. I really wanted to record a track but couldn’t.

wide open canopy, nothing to obscure satellite view. Is it a phone issue or app issue? Samsung s10.
The app does not track you directly but pulls that location from your device so it comes down to a few settings on the device itself.

Check out this page for a few things to troubleshoot. Location troubleshoot

I requested an update on when my county was going to be updated again, (going on atleast 1.5 years old now) but support stated they rely on the counties to upload the data to OnX, which does not make sense, anywho, would I contact the GIS dept to have them upload the data to OnX? I live in a county that sells off some of their lands every year, so it would be nice to be updated!

Just a simple question. How do I update my phone software? I don't see any update button in the app. I figured it would be simple to find, but all I find is an "Upgrade" not an update.

I purchased a download version of the CO map in 2011. All my data and the map have disappeared from my computer. Is there a way to recover anything?

OK with 33 pages of talk I did not look all the way through sorry.
BUT is there any way I can install my OnX right to my GPS?
I Have a 600 Montana and can only use one chip at a time.
Without my "navigation" chip, that cant be unlocked I can't navigate to my waypoints. It will show them but just a straight line going to them, no road travel.
Or is there a different way to do this?

Is there a method to narrowing the search for a land owner? I've tried entering the county after the name and it doesn't seem to do anything to narrow it down.

OK with 33 pages of talk I did not look all the way through sorry.
BUT is there any way I can install my OnX right to my GPS?
I Have a 600 Montana and can only use one chip at a time.
Without my "navigation" chip, that cant be unlocked I can't navigate to my waypoints. It will show them but just a straight line going to them, no road travel.
Or is there a different way to do this?
Apologies for the delay in seeing this.

The only way to view the information on a GPS unit is with the Chip plugged into the back of the unit. Unfortunately you cannot download the information off the chip or app onto the unit directly.

I purchased a download version of the CO map in 2011. All my data and the map have disappeared from my computer. Is there a way to recover anything?
Give us a call at 406-540-1600 so we can look up your account!

Are there any plans to make onx compatible with android auto? Would be pretty damn sweet if i could just have onx up on my trucks screen while i drove around. Theres a short list of compatible apps, like a dozen or so, and onx aint one of them. Android auto (or apple auto) allows you to run compatible apps such as google maps right on your trucks screen. Maybe the licensing cost to get onx compatible with android auto would be prohibitive, i dont know. But if it could be done i think it would be very well received and offer a leg up on the competition. Who wouldnt want to drive around with their onx displayed on their 7+" truck screen? Man it would be awesome.

Last edited:
Are there any plans to make onx compatible with android auto? Would be pretty damn sweet if i could just have onx up on my trucks screen while i drove around. Theres a short list of compatible apps, like a dozen or so, and onx aint one of them. Android auto (or apple auto) allows you to run compatible apps such as google maps right on your trucks screen. Maybe the licensing cost to get onx compatible with android auto would be prohibitive, i dont know. But if it could be done i think it would be very well received and offer a leg up on the competition. Who wouldnt want to drive around with their onx displayed on their 7+" truck screen? Man it would be awesome.
We are looking into that! We don't have any timetable on when it might be available but it is on our radar.

Is there a way to save the radius feature on a map?
When you hit apply, then it will save that radius to the waypoint. So when you exit out of that menu, it will still show there. If you're having issues with this, get a hold of us at 406-540-1600 so we can help you out!

When you hit apply, then it will save that radius to the waypoint. So when you exit out of that menu, it will still show there. If you're having issues with this, get a hold of us at 406-540-1600 so we can help you out!

Thanks. Works for me now.

Are there some phones that just don't work with onX? I've got a Pixel 2 and the direction on GPS is always wrong. I thought it was my magnetic bino harness at first, but even without the harness it's still wonky.

Are there some phones that just don't work with onX? I've got a Pixel 2 and the direction on GPS is always wrong. I thought it was my magnetic bino harness at first, but even without the harness it's still wonky.
The App pulls the location from the device itself so it is dependent on how accurate the GPS receiver is in that device.
This page walks through a few things you can do to troubleshoot (Click HERE)
Feel free to give us a call at 406-540-1600 if you'd like to chat with our team as well and we can help you out as well.

Is there a way to make custom layers? For instance, in my case, we would like to have a layer with fire district boundaries for our rural VFD north of Billings. We are all hunters and use onX for coordinates and land ownership during fire responses.

Of course what we would really like is for onX to find a way to add fire district layers. But assuming there is not enough demand for onX to pursue this, even if they could find them, maybe there is a way to use travel waypoints or saved routes and connect them to make our own district boundary layers?

Thanks

Is there a way to tell which roads are open and when? Example: certain forest service roads that are open from May 15 - December 1.

Is there a way to tell when a road is “private?” This continues to frustrate me as there was a junction and both roads are shown as solid white line on OnX which usually means public road. However when I got there the road was gated. This is only concerning to me when there is public land being gated off which in this case there is.

Back