Ask your onX Hunt questions here!

I've read of that problem with Basemap and I believe it's a phone problem; gps not working when the phone sleeps if I remember correctly.

Not a question. Just wanted to praise OnX for their good customer service. Had an issue now resolved quickly and painlessly. Good folks!

OnX representative. Can you add a feature that tracks game animals? Deer, elk, turkeys etc. I'm thinking maybe a flashing red animal icon that varies slightly in color by animal and vicinity. It's tough hunting out here in Colorado and I sure could use a red flashing turkey. Thanks and gobble gobble

I tried to find the help articles online to use the online on-x version to bring up a map of certain Elk areas. I can find no place in the app to do that and I am generally pretty savvy with software since that is what I did before I retired from my last job. How do you bring up specific Wyoming elk areas?

I tried to find the help articles online to use the online on-x version to bring up a map of certain Elk areas. I can find no place in the app to do that and I am generally pretty savvy with software since that is what I did before I retired from my last job. How do you bring up specific Wyoming elk areas?

Layer library/State tab, click the layers you want to add to the main “map layers” fly out panel.

Layer library/State tab, click the layers you want to add to the main “map layers” fly out panel.

I got that far easy but when I try to search for "Wyoming Elk Area 129" nothing comes up or something for Lincoln County and this area is in Campbell County.

Do I even need a GPS with this onX? I will likely have a one or two western big game hunts this fall. Very cool technology.

Do I even need a GPS with this onX? I will likely have a one or two western big game hunts this fall. Very cool technology.

Many people are using the Hunt App as their primary and only GPS unit out in the field. There is a 7 day free trial so you can see all of the features and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.
This link is a good place to start. onX Hunt User Guide

I've been using my phone with onx as my primary map source on hunts from the last ~4 years, I carry a paper map as backup. Honestly I don't see any reason to carry a GPS at this point.

For perspective I'm not taking about using it just on the back 40, I've used it on Adak, Prince of Wales, Chugach, elk hunts in CO and Montana... etc. very remote areas.

@onX Hunt Any chance you would consider expanding your topo base layer to the entire world and/or add a 4th option with the ESRI topo so that you can use onx internationally. I've used and downloaded the imagery in Iceland, Scotland, and Canada but having a base layer with roads would be awesome.

@onX Hunt Any chance you would consider expanding your topo base layer to the entire world and/or add a 4th option with the ESRI topo so that you can use onx internationally. I've used and downloaded the imagery in Iceland, Scotland, and Canada but having a base layer with roads would be awesome.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass that along to our team. Not quite on the radar yet but it's feedback like that, that gets things started.

I got that far easy but when I try to search for "Wyoming Elk Area 129" nothing comes up or something for Lincoln County and this area is in Campbell County.

You don't add an individual hunt area layer, the statewide layers are turned on by species by clicking the "layer settings" under the hunt areas icon.

1.jpg2.jpg

Many people are using the Hunt App as their primary and only GPS unit out in the field. There is a 7 day free trial so you can see all of the features and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.
This link is a good place to start. onX Hunt User Guide

I use On-X as primary GPS then I got a Garmin with the maps loaded. Phone and I-Pad have a tendency of low battery at worst times.

This bad boy will power my phone on airplane mode + garmin mini for a week.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...eywords=anker&qid=1559062877&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Thanks, I think that will do nicely. Solar panels are nice when they work. I will probably order this Friday when I get paid. Does it come with extra batteries?

EDIT: I looked at it on my PC. Looks like you charge it by plugging it into a USB port on a PC or car, or AC adapter. I might order two since I got a 12 day hunt coming for elk and deer.

Last edited:
Edit the Wyoming hunt unit and choose elk since the Wy units differ by species.

Back