Ask Randy - Muskrat trapping

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of guys have asked me to do a video of how I do the muskrat trapping. So, that is what you get with this one.

Please excuse the low quality production. I did it in a hurry, with a little camera, filming myself. I threw it together on an el cheapo editing system, so nothing fancy with this.

https://youtu.be/lG9ieTsK0GQ

IMG_3709-001.JPG

This is one morning running half of the traps on the small line I set. If you want to get permission from ranchers and farmers to hunt, show up with a handful of beaver and muskrat traps. Odds are they will welcome you then, and when you come back in December with a shotgun in hand.

Thank you, Randy, for sharing this. I have read several descriptions, but seeing it is much more descriptive.

Thanks for the video play by play. Shades of "survivorman" Les Stroud doing the filming and acting. Appreciate the effort and extra time required to demonstrate one aspect of trapping.

that was great.Who do you buy your trap platforms from??I wish my area had some trappable rat populations.When I was younger there were thousands around.

that was great.Who do you buy your trap platforms from??I wish my area had some trappable rat populations.When I was younger there were thousands around.

The platforms I get from Sudden Valley Supply in Missouri. The poles and bait clips I get online or from ranch/farm stores.

My Uncle Lyle had one leg due to a logging accident, and by gentlemen's agreement the local folks in my Mom's home town left him several miles of the Tahquamenon River to trap since he could do it from a boat. He averaged about 1100 rats a year for nearly 25 years. My brother trapped muskrats, beaver and mink for about 20 years, then quit, and still catches hell at holiday dinners because the family no longer has muskrat to eat. I ate enough when I was a kid it's a wonder I didn't grow a tail and fur.
You really are a typical yearlong Finnish killer, aren't you Newberg!

If you are trapping for fun, there is a ton of opportunity, but right now, the money is not there. The NAFA sale is going on right now and fur is taking a beating. Large, XL, etc. rats averaged less than $5 after commission and medium/smalls were well under $2.

Between fur prices and drought, my 400 rat traps will be idle for a bit.

Fur bearers still have to b managed no matter how much u make doing it.I don't get paid very much to hunt out west each year but still do it.Actually it costs me thousands.Trap for fun and if u make a little extra all the better.It will make a better hunter out of you to

Hi Randy,

Where do you get the trap stabilizer for the 1.5 coil springs on the 3/8 rebar?

Back