PEAX Equipment

Ask Adventure Medical Kits your First Aid questions here

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Adventure Medical Kits is a long-time provided of medical, first aid, and safety products for the backcountry adventurer. They have offered to have one of their professionals log in and answer questions you might have about backcountry first aid, emergencies, and what items to have in "your kit" for the unexpected events that seem to happen.

So, ask here and their professionals will provide answers.

And just for advance notice, this thread is not a substitute for seeing your doctor ;)

My main question is how long are the general medicines good if left in my truck for the whole year. Does heat and cold make them go bad earlier than the expiration date? I’m thinking of ibuprofen, Benadryl, Imodium, and the like. It would also be good to know for clotting agents as well.
Basically, do I need to replace all of this stuff every year?
Thanks!

Thanks for your question, Ben. You can refer to the drug facts on the back of most medications for information on recommended storage temperatures. These are the temperatures that the medicines are guaranteed to stay effective at. Storing the medicines at temperatures outside of that range, especially for long periods, can cause a decrease in the effectiveness of the medication. One study considered this problem specifically with emergency medicine in mind and concluded that yes, medications should be replaced a minimum of once per year if exposed to a wide temperature variety. You can check out the study here: https://academic.oup.com/jtm/article/13/1/35/1874330

QuikClot advanced clotting gauze is designed to withstand a wider variety of environments and has been tested by the US military in extreme conditions to withstand both high and freezing temperatures.

Rattlesnake bites...
The two things I’ve read to do are
1) get to a hospital as quickly as possible.

2) stay calm and keep heart rate down.

If a person is hunting far from their vehicle the two are opposites.
I can go to the truck fast or I can keep my heart rate down, but not both. What would be the best to do?

If a person has an inreach is this a time to use it or is it not helicopter/ SAR serious?

MTGomer - Getting to a hospital is your main priority - meaning, yes, this could be a good time to use your inReach, especially if you're deep into the backcountry (several hours from a hospital). You want to evacuate with as little exertion as possible. If you have to self-evacuate, Dr. Brad Dahl from the Poison Control Center recommends that you walk, don't run and most importantly stay calm, keeping your heart rate down. If you have friends who can carry your pack so you're exerting yourself as little as possible while still getting out, that's preferable. If possible, notify emergency personnel that you've been bit and are on your way to the hospital so they can prepare for your arrival. The best course of action is always situationally dependent to some extent (e.g. if you’re 7 days out versus 7 hours), but the principles of staying calm and determining the most efficient route to reach medical professionals hold true. You can learn more here: https://healthcare.utah.edu/the-scope/shows.php?shows=0_vookb28x

What activity will you be using it for? We have some WFR and SAR members on staff and depending on the activity (hunting, hiking, keep in the car, etc.) their preferred kits vary, but happy to make a recommendation specifically for you.
I'm thinking two: one for hunting, usually day trips, within 4 hours of higher level medical. The other for car.

I'm thinking two: one for hunting, usually day trips, within 4 hours of higher level medical. The other for car.
We'd recommend you check out the Trauma Pak with QuikClot, Sportsman 400, and Mountaineer medical kits. One of the SAR members also mentioned he likes to keep the Suture/Syringe Kit in his car because he's often with paramedics.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't open my trauma pak before I need it (the bag it comes in, not the individual items)? I wasn't sure if anything would go bad or have it's life expectancy shortened through exposure to air.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't open my trauma pak before I need it (the bag it comes in, not the individual items)? I wasn't sure if anything would go bad or have it's life expectancy shortened through exposure to air.
Are you referring to the Trauma Pak with QuikClot? The interior contents are each individually wrapped, so there's no problem with opening the main bag.

What kit would you recommend for sticking in my pack for week long backpack hunts prefer something light weight and water proof that cold temps won’t effect if possible

Does the pack cone with occlusive dressings or is that special extra? I understand this may be more tactical than usual, but thoracic external puncture trauma could occur in the backcountry.

I’ve had some very basic first aid and CPR training over the years and some fundamental first aid training over my years in the Army. I’ve been retired now for 10 years and would like to take some refresher courses for basic backcountry first aid. I have a pretty well sorted first aid kit for my pack and another (more complete) one that stays in camp. I’d really like some good refresher training for fundamentals for how (and when) to use these items. on-line or in-person options would be welcomed. Thank you.

I'm not sure if this Q&A forum is still active & or being answered? But I will say, I was a state certified medic for a long time. Et I'm willing to answer emergency/injury type questions best to my ability. (I will also say, it is BEST to consult a physician FIRST if anyone has a medical problem & or question).

I'm not sure if this Q&A forum is still active & or being answered? But I will say, I was a state certified medic for a long time. Et I'm willing to answer emergency/injury type questions best to my ability. (I will also say, it is BEST to consult a physician FIRST if anyone has a medical problem & or question).
I’ve been looking to take some more advanced classes for first aid. Really looking for something that could help when handling problems in the field. Im not looking to become a certified paramedic by any means. Aside from basic CPR I’ve not seen anything what was included in my military training (many years ago). Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back