Ask Adventure Medical Kits your First Aid questions here

ILbowhntr, Are you a certified EMT (basic?) If not, I suggest going to a medical book store. Or ordering one on line a (EMT-basic training manual). Otherwise if I recall correctly. I scanned through an old Boy Scout 1st aid manual many decades ago. It was excellent as to handling 1st aid & taking care of field wounds/fractures & controlled bleeding. Perhaps a recent Boy Scout manual is even better than the one I viewed decades ago?

Also it is good for anyone to become familiar with the human body Arterial/Venous system(to control bleeding). A person can view & copy from various internet sites (if allowed?)

BTW, Thanks for your Service.

@1oldcoyote I got my EMT-B and you’re right, it’s mind-blowing how much more advanced that is over a first aid training. In retrospect now, it’s more than I needed to do and FR/Wilderness FR is really all I may continue.

@1oldcoyote I got my EMT-B and you’re right, it’s mind-blowing how much more advanced that is over a first aid training. In retrospect now, it’s more than I needed to do and FR/Wilderness FR is really all I may continue.
Did some improvised corpsman stuff in my youth in combat. When I took my EMT-II test it was a breeze and I still have the books. Thanks to what a Navy corpsman taught me.
Never lost a patient in 15 years.

I view the human a most remarkable creation. We are both most fragile & sometimes take a severe pounding & survive. My partner & I extricated a woman one day. Who was not wearing a seatbelt. Her large old late model car. Met a large box truck head on on a highway. She slammed into the steering wheel, brake pedal & dash. We found her still alive in a broken mass of human flesh. Stuffed up under the dash from the impact. Almost every bone in her body was broken at least once. During the extrication & loud drone of our hydraulic extrication motor. We could hear her say over & over. "Please give me something for the pain" in a mumbled moaning voice. She was the worst trauma victim I ever seen. She lived. Conversely I have seen others, stone cold dead from minor traumas.

I have seen a lot of trauma victims in my 28yrs of public service. Some lived, some were stone cold dead upon our arrival. I have come to the conclusion. We don't die until it is OUR time. God calls the shots down here on ole Mother Earth. Take that to the bank.

I view the human a most remarkable creation. We are both most fragile & sometimes take a severe pounding & survive. My partner & I extricated a woman one day. Who was not wearing a seatbelt. Her large old late model car. Met a large box truck head on on a highway. She slammed into the steering wheel, brake pedal & dash. We found her still alive in a broken mass of human flesh. Stuffed up under the dash from the impact. Almost every bone in her body was broken at least once. During the extrication & loud drone of our hydraulic extrication motor. We could hear her say over & over. "Please give me something for the pain" in a mumbled moaning voice. She was the worst trauma victim I ever seen. She lived. Conversely I have seen others, stone cold dead from minor traumas.

I have seen a lot of trauma victims in my 28yrs of public service. Some lived, some were stone cold dead upon our arrival. I have come to the conclusion. We don't die until it is OUR time. God calls the shots down here on ole Mother Earth. Take that to the bank.
Sounds like a Glasgow of 10 somehow!

Sounds like a Glasgow of 10 somehow!
I could not believe she was still alive. I give women more credit than I do men for the most part. For taking punishing physical trauma. I've seen it many times. I fail to remember a lot of medical terminology. As it's been many yrs since I was a medic. There are some tough men. However, most men are whiners when they take a physical pounding vs women.

Last edited:
I could not believe she was still alive. I give women more credit than I do men for the most part. For taking punishing physical trauma. I've seen it many times. I fail to remember a lot of medical terminology. As it's been many yrs since I was a medic. There are some tough men. However, most men are whiners when they take a physical pounding vs women.

I edited my post. Actually the Glascow Coma scale is rated 0-15. Zero being the worst number given to a trauma patient. So if a trauma patient has a low scale number. They are in sorry condition. I do not remember the scoring now days.

I edited my post. Actually the Glascow Coma scale is rated 0-15. Zero being the worst number given to a trauma patient. So if a trauma patient has a low scale number. They are in sorry condition. I do not remember the scoring now days.
It’s 3-15 and Eyes 4 Verbal 5 Motor 6. This online quiz thing helped me practice all the time prior to NREMT. https://abg.ninja/gcs

Amen to what you said about the Good Lord!!!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back