Arizona Strip?

When I refer to the "strip" I personally think of 13B......which of course is not open to archery hunting during the September hunt. I know of only a handful of bowhunters who have tried to arrow a bruiser on the 13B hunt in the late fall. None have been successful that I know.

When and if I ever draw (I have max points), I'll be one of those "misled diehards" that try it also. :D

Yes I was talking about 13B and I was'nt sure if there was an archery season there apparently not. i have hunted 12A west about 5-6 times archery and rifle once but have only taken one deer(rifle). Anyway my point is the last couple of years during archery season there has been a mob of hunters in the area I hunt and was looking for another spot somewhere in that region. I was thinking that it would be awesome to try and hunt the strip but looks like i will have to keep putting in and see what happens.

Not many deer of course. I know Randy Ulmer has killed deer with a bow in 13A along with a few others but that was not during the rifle season. Take the bow & have the rifle in the truck but becareful because you might only see a monster buck once in that country!

Like Craig said you are lucky to see one monster while up there. This year there were a bunch of 170-180 bucks hitting the dirt up there. Many people think it's a slam dunk for a 200". I know of several outstanding hunters who have came back from hunts in AZ; North of the Colorado River empty handed. Archery on that hunt would test you mentally for sure.

Die hard bowhunting types be damned, someone lucky enough to have a tag like that in their pocket would be foolish to lower their chances with a bow.
I enjoy bowhunting too, but intentionally reducing your chance of harvest on the world's most coveted deer tag??? that just doesn't make sense...
IMO

I know that Roy (BOHNTR) is more than capable with his bow on a hunt like that. I've hunted and guided on the "Strip". I'm always wondering why it's the most coveted muley tag in the world? It isn't easy and I bet the average score on bucks taken is smaller than many think. With that being said, hopefully this is my year for it again...........

From what I saw, the challenge won't be killing the deer. They seemed to be pretty damn stupid while I was there. It was November though. Finding a nice buck is the hard part, but I don't think the archery part will make it that much harder. There's a reason the success rate is 50% on a rut rifle hunt. Keep in mind probably half the hunters there hire a guide.

Kurt is pretty much right on. The deer, for the most part, are pretty docile. Finding the ones the “Strip” is famous for, is the hard part.

well you will want to bring alot of cheap broadheads for the turkeys,plenty of those to shoot at! If your not picky theres plenty of mormans to shoot to!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back