Arizona North Kaibab Unit 12 A&B

danr55

If anyone gets drawn for the North Rim.. Please be aware that you can walk in and buy a tag for Any Elk or Buffalo over the counter. See the hunt regs. under Commission Order for Deer. Footnote 18.

:cool:

Not too good for Elk Chris, but I've seen buff the two of the last three times I've been up there..

really--would've never imagined that buff would be there--but of course I've never been there, so how would I know--just never heard of them being there--will have to remember that if I ever put in for a hunt down there---chris

The buffalo will be there right up until the first shot rings out, and then they'll go right into the forest where you cant shoot. That is why they are offering it in the first place. forest service wants the herds thinned out.

Chris, The buff will climb up on the plateau to get out of the heat on the flats. It's about 4000 feet in altitude and about 1/2 mile laterrally. It's a pretty steep climb but the seem to do it.

Sturge, welcome to hunttalk.. I don't think it's the forest circus that want the herd thinned, I think it's out esteemed governor. I understand she has said that we have no business being in the buffalo business in Arizona.

danr55 said:
Chris, The buff will climb up on the plateau to get out of the heat on the flats. It's about 4000 feet in altitude and about 1/2 mile laterrally. It's a pretty steep climb but the seem to do it.

Sturge, welcome to hunttalk.. I don't think it's the forest circus that want the herd thinned, I think it's out esteemed governor. I understand she has said that we have no business being in the buffalo business in Arizona.

So are you saying that the hunters in Arizona don't care too much for hunting for buffalo? Or is the governor just making a statement for PETA.

It seems to me that every hunter has a job of being "in the business" of taking care of the wildlife and the impression I got from that kind of statement from a governor sounds to me like its got PETA written all over it. They don't ever really understand what great good hunters do for the conservation of the species.

By the way, I too was unaware of Buffalo in Arizona. Do you have to draw a tag for it if you bow hunt? I know in Arizona you have to draw or you basically don't hunt. It's my understanding its to your advantage to bow hunt if your in Arizona otherwise you don't hunt at all unless you get drawn. If that's not correct, please let me know.

Thanks!
Curtis Schramm

Curtis you are exactly correct. Most everything in Arizona is a draw hunt. Archery deer, turkey, any Lion tag and varmints are over the counter. Everything else is a draw.

As to our Governor, who can say what she is thinking. I don't think PETA plays any part in it, but $$ do. The land that the state maintains for it's two Buff ranches would make great developements and would sell for BIG bucks. I'm betting that that is more the driver than PETA. Buffalo is a once in a lifetime event in Arizona and there are not a lot of tags. So the hunts are not very profitable for the state. Besides, we have a contingent in the state legislature that represent the retirement community who are more interested in saving $$ above everything else. They are largely responsible for the porr state of Arizona schools and the shabby conditions of the highways.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back