Caribou Gear

Arizona is burning; what does that mean for AZ Tag holders?

AZbywayofWI

Not sure how many people are aware of this but there are several wildfires raging in my state. The Magnum Fire (cause not yet determined) has eaten 45,000+ acres in the famous Kaibab with about only 3% containment and the Bush Fire (human caused) has exploded in the Tonto National Forest, eating up 90,000 acres and about 5% containment. Now I am not sure if there any homes lost yet, which would be awful, and I am not downplaying the loss of property especially amidst this COvid-19 pandemic, but since this is a hunting forum; I am curious to know your thoughts on this in regards to fall hunting.

What does this do for tag holders in these units? The Kaibab is notoriously hard to draw a tag in, I would hate to be a tag holder in this unit and not have purchased point guard. While not as sought after as the Kaibab, Tonto National Forest (Unit 22), is an area for some of the best Coues Deer hunting in the state not to mention the go to unit for Big Horn Sheep. What happens when half or heck even a quarter of the unit you planned on hunting burns right before the season? Do you turn in your tag, do you go through with your hunt and maybe hunt a different area; what would you guys do? .

This year I applied for the late season Kaibab tag so the deer will be below the burn in that season. Last year the area on fire held lower deer numbers than further south. In my opinion, the impact of the fire on 12AW will be minimal this year and will help the unit going forward for obvious reasons. If it crosses the highway into 12B it could be a different story.

AZ burns every summer. Dry lightning happens a lot prior to the monsoon. It’s normal life here.
That is does, but what would you do if you were planning on hunting the area that is currently burning. I wouldn't expect that burn to be productive for new growth by the time the season rolls around

i'd plan on hunting it, to whatever degree i'm allowed and where i can and where there are likely still animals.

i'd think if it got to a point where it wasn't huntable, nor safe, and the forest service prohibits you from essentially entering the unit to hunt, then i think i've seen provisions for states refunding the license, not sure about arizona though when it comes to that

it's a risk everywhere in most western states.

That is does, but what would you do if you were planning on hunting the area that is currently burning. I wouldn't expect that burn to be productive for new growth by the time the season rolls around

I'd go somewhere else to hunt of course, or not. Once the monsoons show the grass will grow. As long as it burns the catclaw into extinction its fine by me. (y)

This early in the fire season it’s most likely that those specific fires will have burned out by hunting season. Not necessarily the case, but by normal standards that’s what you could expect. Only reason access may be restricted is if the state gets nervous about fire conditions continuing to be bad, although federal lands will rarely close for that. In Washington/Oregon there are many private timberlands that will close during bad fire conditions even with few or no fires burning

I've seen elk in burns the day after they're extinguished. You'll have to play it by ear and see what changes you have to make. Always have a plan a,b,c, and d

I've seen elk in burns the day after they're extinguished. You'll have to play it by ear and see what changes you have to make. Always have a plan a,b,c, and d

Elk and deer don't care about fire or smoke. Natural for them. We seem to be the ones that see it as an evil.

The first snap is of the Santa Catalina’s Mtns. southern face from my house. The city of Tucson lies at the base of the range. The second was taken over the mighty 😆 Santa Cruz River bridge in Sahuarita. Like most mtns in AZ the Catalina’s are a huge pile of rocks made up of junipers, pinyon pine, white oak and various scrub brush. Tall timber is on the top slopes. There was a big fire up there 8 years or so ago so I don’t expect a huge impact around Mt. Lemmon. CB7A32E4-4A28-4F90-B2B7-6AD17814AFDE.jpeg872CE5DB-D386-4C0F-BB85-FD9F43AA1110.jpeg

Winds have been pretty stiff last 2 days. Are they fighting it in the Wilderness?

The magnum fire will help to open up that unit, probably will be great this year and a decrease in tags next year. The Bush is burning between 2 highways. It will open up that wildness. It’s burning slow through the sheep country above the lakes so that’s good news.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back