PEAX Equipment

Arizona hunter ed course

pointingdogsrule

I was thinking about getting that extra Arizona point by taking the hunter ed course in Arizona. Take a cheap flight from Iowa and take the course. Has anyone ever taken the course. How many days. I checked the website and could not find any info. Held in Phoenix? Thanks for any info.

good luck to all
the dog

The course I went through with my son took up four eight hour days over two consecutive weekends, but this included a full 8 hour day on bow-hunting safety, which you don't need for the hunter-ed point. Looking for a course that doesn't include the bow-hunting portion will save you time. You should be able to find something that does the classroom portion at night during the week, with the field and test day that weekend, if being out here during the week is an option for you. Phoenix will be your best bet for cheap flights. I'll see if I can help find a list of upcoming classes.

I took it back in '08. I took the online course and then had an all-day class on a Saturday that included classroom stuff and then a little outdoor work including a little time at the range with a .22. I had a nice time with it.

If you already have a hunters ed card, it's a single (long) day for nonresidents. Plan on getting there the day before, and either leaving the following day or take a very late flight home. It's all classroom time, and is not what you would typically expect from a hunters ed course. More about laws in AZ, how the AZ draw works, etc.

Without a doubt, if I were non-resident, I'd get in touch with Don Martin in Kingman, Az. He's head hunter educ. guy and THE man when it comes to the finer points of the draw. A lot of non-residents come to Ariz. just to take take his 1-day class & pick up their hunter ed. Bonus point. PM
me and I'll get you his contact info ...

Last edited:
My dad, son and I are planning to be at Don's class in Jan. Flying to Vegas, renting a car and getting in a day of quail hunting.

As stated, it is a 1-day course, all classroom if you want to take the bare minimum course designed expressly for nonresidents.
I took it in jan 2008, and the extra bonus point put me over the top in that years elk draw for a top tag. Definitely worth it. I combo'd the course with OTC deer hunt and javelina...why go to AZ in January and not hunt?

Held in Kingman. They do 2 per year, January and ?, timed to be in time for spring and fall draw.

I took it a few years back with Don Martin.
It was 12 hours, dawn till dusk in Kingman, AZ
The extra point will help in the draws, and Don reallys knows the finer points of getting drawn.

Besides, the class had some big name hollywood type hunting celebrities.

THANKS to all the responses...... I think next January I'm headed to Arizona for the class and maybe a little huntin'.

good luck to all
the dog

I flew into Vegas an made a 3 day weekend out of it with the wife. Bailed on her one day for the class and drove down there in the morning. BE AWARE of the fact there is a time zone change between Vegas and Kingman.. Don't ask me how I know that. Don's also ask me how fast a rental car can go in the middle of nowhere.

BE AWARE of the fact there is a time zone change between Vegas and Kingman.. Don't ask me how I know that. Don's also ask me how fast a rental car can go in the middle of nowhere.

Hahaha...yeah, we don't do daylight savings time. Right now we're the same as Nevada, but in January we'll be an hour ahead.

If you have already taken a hunter education course in another state and you want to take the special one day course, such as the one offered by Don Martin, you must contact Dave Williams in the AZGFD Education Branch at 623-236-7235 to register. You can be an Arizona resident with a hunter ed card from another state and still take the one day course. The course is required to be 12 hours classroom with a 100 question final exam and you must score 70% or higher to pass. Don Martin will make sure you pass the final exam. He feels if you fail the final, he failed as an instructor. I highly recommend his class in Kingman. You can fly into Las Vegas, NV, rent a car and drive to Kingman in about 2 hours. I recommend staying in Kingman so you can be in class at 7AM.

The hunter's ed point is permanent. If you are interested in opportunity hunts that can be drawn with under 5 points then the point is a huge benefit since if you have the loyalty point you participate in each draw with no less than 3 points on your side. Your wait is 2 years less than would be between drawing tags. For an opportunity person that is huge. I can hunt a very good clues deer unit every other year rather than once every 4 years.

If you are near max pool then the point will help you, too.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back