Arizona elk hunt

gman1

I need some help from the group as to an area of Arizona that would be good spot for an elk hunt. I have never hunted in Arizona but would like to get down there. I realize that I will have to get drawn , etc. but what areas has the group hunted in and found a good population of elk.

Thanks for you assistance and until next time.

gamn

THere are excellent populations of elk in all of the units above the rim except 12 and 13. Any of the regulart hunts should prove more than satisfying.

Danr55,

Thanks for your help Danr55. What would be the unit of your choice and what town is it nearest to?

gman

I do have to ask another question and that is " above the rim"? This ol boy from ND needs a definition of that ...:)

gman

North of the Mogollon Rim. But I would include 22 and 23 as well, which are both south of the rim. 6A accounts for more elk harvest than any other unit. Take a look at this link for information from the AZGFD to help you decide which units are to your liking and start applying there.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units.shtml

Only the two first choices are considered on the first pass and all of the bull tags will go in the first pass. I don't even fill in any choice beyond the first two. Any elk tag you draw after looking through the unit information will be a good tag. Some units "enjoy" more notoriety than others, but most units produce 340+ bulls every year.

Thanks Sagebrush,

That was great info! Have you hunted in 6A?

Gman

6A is not my deal. I've hunted in 22 and 4B which are opportunity hunts. This year I drew against all odds and have a 23N early archery tag. One of only 15 tags during the rut.

My Wyoming buddy drew the 6A archery bull tag for 9/9-9/22 and I'm going along to help. It is supposed to hold 20% of the elk in AZ, so it should be good if we can get away from other hunters as much as possible. They should be into the rut by the second week.and we are going for the entire season. If John fills early we will go back and do archery elk in Wyoming where we always hunt and got the 357 3/8" bull in my avatar last Fall.

Top Gun

Where in Wyo. do you hunt elk? We are hunting North of Dubois this fall and am wondering if you know the area at all?

Have a great day!

gman

You are correct with the % of elk & hunters. 6A does hold some big bulls, it is just managed for quantity. Lots of services, options, & people around that unit.

Pray for a good Monsoon Season, it makes a difference...

What have the wild fires done to the Elk....my AZ hunts have been "down on the Blue" which may be boiled out of water by now....all the folks I have hunted with live in evacuated Alpine, Eagar and Springerville....anyone got an update?

Tom---They are all probably in unit 15 and the 16 units in NM now! The last I saw the map, the fire had crossed over into 15 straight west of Reserve and Luna is still under a possible evacuation order if the wind picks up and moves it northeast. I have friends in Los Lunas that I hunted in the Gila with last year an it's not too far south of Albuquerque. They say the smoke is so bad all the way there that it's almost blocking out the sun as it goes down in the late afternoon hours. Let's all hope and pray for low winds and some rain to get things under control because that beautiful country isn't conducive to putting out fires as big as that one is by human means without some real help from Mother Nature.

I'm afraid the fires have pretty much decimated the hunting in units 1 and 27 this year. Big Lake, Hannigan's Meadow, Blue Wilderness are all now ash bowls that look more like a battle field than like the pristine old growth forest that they used to be. Some parts of unit 2 are gone as well. I hope they find who's responsible and prosecute to the limit of the law. Of course we all know that won't happen.

Gman, Sorry it took so long to get back. I'd have told you that Unit's 1 and 27 present the best opportunity for a big bull. Unit 8 and 9 are thick but hold some huge elk if you can find them. Unit 10 is pretty open, and it my first choice ..only because I've spent so much time there. (We did draw again this year but someone forgot to indicate if they were applying for a resident or non-res tag and we got tossed out.) Anyway, next year is a better shot. I hope!

Danr,,,been following the fire on Inciweb, looks like most of unit 27 is toast,,,my question is we have 5 months before hunting starts last season, will things return to somewhat normal by then? It looks like an island has not burned around Paradise park, do you think the elk will hold up there? Whats the future hold,,,,,,have 2 elk tags for 27?????

game and fish believes that the area will green up with the summer monsoons. thats what happened after the rodeo chediski fire. the elk were spread pretty evenly. I'm worried about the flooding and erosion that will happen with the monsoon. the fish kill will be pretty bad. check azgfd.com for hunt updates in 1 & 27. The picture they are painting sounds ok but time will tell.

My guess is the worst case would be a dry monsoon season. Fires suck but a couple years later it is elk and deer heaven.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back