Has anyone hunted elk from a kayak

220yotekiller

Have any of you guys ever hunted elk out of a kayak? I have found a unit that has good public but very little access to it, but there is a river that touches it in a few places so I think it would be doable to hunt out of a boat, except that I have never used a boat before. Any pointers?

It all depends on the river. I think a raft would be safer and a lot more useful, not sure how you could safely pack meat in a kayak. Realistically it would have to be a pretty good sized river and you’d have to scout it out for hazards. At low flows in the fall I would say most rivers in the mountains would be impossible to float, or at least very unsafe to float.

I have done a ton of open water/ocean kayaking and rivers are a whole different beast. Currents and obstructions can ruin a day quick but it can be done but as MTlab suggested prove it by trying it first preferably when warm so swiming is a option but like mentioned know things on rivers change seasonally. Good luck

Have any of you guys ever hunted elk out of a kayak? I have found a unit that has good public but very little access to it, but there is a river that touches it in a few places so I think it would be doable to hunt out of a boat, except that I have never used a boat before. Any pointers?
Pacraft or canoe. I think you’d be asking for trouble with a kayak

Any legal prohibitions out west? Here in Virginia you can’t hunt deer out of a boat; other animals are shotgun only.
I know some states prohibit walking streams to access hunting areas without “fishing your way in.” Would using a raft be that much different? Curious.

Last edited:
I know some states prohibit walking streams to access hunting areas without “fishing your way in.” Would using a raft be that much different? Curious.
People talk about “fishing your way in” when wading streams to hunt big game in Montana, which isn’t actually allowed under our stream access law. Floating a navigable stream in to hunt public land is completely legal though. Things change in different states.

Used an alpacka packraft many, many days hunting moose to access patches of public among a sea of private. Not an expert but would not consider a kayak for floating out big game.

With a packraft I had a workable plan for floating a moose out in a couple trips although just happened to work out that packing out by raft was unneeded. Hard to imagine trying to float an elk out on a kayak but never tried.

We floated the Grande Ronde in drift boats a couple times back in the 70s. Worked fine except climbing up a couple thousand feet every day. Packing meat down hill is great.

Works in the southeast. Biggest thing to consider is your load plan... even with a ~110 pound whitetail, this specific boat was probably at its max limit, and I'm not a real big dude. If you had a low light exfil and hit some current or an obstruction, that could be all she wrote.

20231220_162202.jpeg

But yeah. Cool concept fa sho

Works in the southeast. Biggest thing to consider is your load plan... even with a ~110 pound whitetail, this specific boat was probably at its max limit, and I'm not a real big dude. If you had a low light exfil and hit some current or an obstruction, that could be all she wrote.

View attachment 309411

But yeah. Cool concept fa sho
If ya fell in, how long do you think you'd last? Could you last long enough to get out of the water and start a fire? How cold was that water?

If ya fell in, how long do you think you'd last? Could you last long enough to get out of the water and start a fire? How cold was that water?

In that case, the furthest I was from my truck was less than 500 yards and that creek never gets much wider than that, so getting back not a big deal even with a capsizing event. SST is in the high 40s right now though, and if the first time you experience that is in a truly remote environment, it'd be a steep learning curve how little time you actually have.

I've talked with dudes who think their training or experience can help them beat hypothermia. Wouldn't bet on it.

I've got a wilderness system kayak, its rated to 400lbs or so. I bought it to do the exact same thing. I haven't used it yet do to having shoulder surgery.

My wife won one of these in college at a raffle. I’ve killed turkeys, deer floating into state lands on it. Super stable in all kinds of water. It deflates and can be stored in the back of a car. Spacious enough for one guy and gear for a couple days. Might have to make two trips or haul in an extra tube to tow out an entire elk. I really like it for small or technical rivers. Some of my best sunrises were with that kayak. IMG_2916.jpegIMG_2938.jpegIMG_5660.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0980.png
    IMG_0980.png
    595.6 KB · Views: 13
My wife won one of these in college at a raffle. I’ve killed turkeys, deer floating into state lands on it. Super stable in all kinds of water. It deflates and can be stored in the back of a car. Spacious enough for one guy and gear for a couple days. Might have to make two trips or haul in an extra tube to tow out an entire elk. I really like it for small or technical rivers. Some of my best sunrises were with that kayak. View attachment 309440View attachment 309441View attachment 309442
That would certainly chill the meat down.

Havent hunted out of a kayak, but Im experienced in cold water situations. No way I would be on the water in a cold river without a properly rated wet or dry suit, hood, and booties. At least that would buy you enough time if you flip to self rescue or seek help. Rivers are far more dangerous than lakes or even the ocean to me. If you launch, are you paddling back to that point or being picked up somewhere else? Is your kayak safely rated to pack out an elk and gear and you?

I also packed my kayak full of pool noodles for ocean fishing. If it leaks, at least it can never fully sink.

Never done it, but I have a pedal kayak specifically for fishing and you for sure need to take the load rating into account. This kayak is near impossible to turn over, you would need to fall out of it to worry about getting wet. I think using a kayak to get to the spot is a great idea....not hunting from it per say, which is what I think you mean.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back