Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Has anyone hunted elk from a kayak

I don't know about a kayak but I use a couple different canoes to get into and out of some areas that otherwise don't get hunted. Like others have said.. you'll run into issues getting the meat out in the kayak. I have done a smaller deer once in one but wont do it again. A raft or canoe you shouldn't have those issues. A cheap tandem canoe can be found fairly easily on marketplace and will allow you to haul everything but the kitchen sink in and out and also be more stable.
pound river buck 2.jpg

I've used a canoe a lot - after crossing a sandhills lake in the dark with my brother + 2 deer and having the wind come up on us halfway back I can't say I love it. I really watch the weather closer now... I think a kayak would be way to tippy.

If load and gear is an issue, I've taken a small jet sled and tied that to the rear of my kayak and pulled extra gear along. I have also just taken it as a safety measure in case something happens to the kayak, I can bail quickly and jump into the jet sled.

If there is any serious current on the river you are considering, probably worth scraping both the idea of a kayak and the jet sled.

It really depends on the body of water, depth, obstructions and water speed. I used a Sportspal canoe for years to hunt rivers and swamps for waterfowl, turkey a deer. The canoes have a foam sponson that runs down both sides of the canoe aiding in stability. The canoes are wider than average and you sit low, all adding in stability. The downside for the added stability is they require more effort to paddle. I ran an electric motor on mine (auto battery in front with wire to back for the motor) and could cover some mileage. Much safer setup for carrying weight than a standard stream canoe.

1704722606209.png

If packout is excluded then why not? It’s agile, quick and easily portaged. Packout would not be feasible. Like I own an Old Town 147 canoe and I would not consider that for elk packout either as it’s too small. Take a big 20’ touring canoe or cargo canoe with a flat stern. Plan on 1,000lb capacity.

It really depends on the body of water, depth, obstructions and water speed. I used a Sportspal canoe for years to hunt rivers and swamps for waterfowl, turkey a deer. The canoes have a foam sponson that runs down both sides of the canoe aiding in stability. The canoes are wider than average and you sit low, all adding in stability. The downside for the added stability is they require more effort to paddle. I ran an electric motor on mine (auto battery in front with wire to back for the motor) and could cover some mileage. Much safer setup for carrying weight than a standard stream canoe.

View attachment 309484
I've done the same with one of these. They're practically impossible to flip. My first one finally died by saltwater corrosion from beach launching. If you move the front seat rearward and face backward it levels out and drafts very shallow.

Also, don't leave the trolling motor hooked up unattended. That foam insulation is flammable. Flames leaping in the rear-view mirror are alarming.

Canoes out more than a few deer. I would never consider using a kayak. lol

I tried to turkey hunt out of a kayak one time. One time. lol

I'll stick to the big boy toys for deer. Its way safer.

View attachment 309473
This would be my choice. That and about a 50hp pump I'd be good to go. I have experienced falling into cold water. Actually Flathead lake near Lakeside, Mont, in Feb one year. Immediately lost my breath but was close enough to shore to stand up. Got onto shore and built a fire and removed the wet clothes to dry. Actually got warmed standing there with no clothes on. Ya don't want to fall into water that cold with really cold air temp.

In that case, the furthest I was from my truck was less than 500 yards and that creek never gets much wider than that, so getting back not a big deal even with a capsizing event. SST is in the high 40s right now though, and if the first time you experience that is in a truly remote environment, it'd be a steep learning curve how little time you actually have.

I've talked with dudes who think their training or experience can help them beat hypothermia. Wouldn't bet on it.
500 yards is a hell of a long way to go if you are freezing cold and your paddling for your life. Plus once you get that cold, your brain starts acting funny and your judgement is seriously impaired. When I was 25 I honeymooned out on the Cape of Massachusetts, and the water there in the ocean was around 58-62 degrees. And I don't think I got all the way in. Of course depends on the individual, right? I'd start practicing for 6 months by taking baths in ice water to see what happens in your tub. Leave your clothes on of course.

I have good outriggers on my kayak and still ended up flipping it once. Snagged on a limb that turned me sideways and held me there, current caught the upstream side and over I went. January, alone other than my dog, life jacket as a backrest 🤦🏻‍♂️. Luckily it was only waste deep and I got out of the kayak ok. Gun, paddle, and dry bag were all tethered. The next half hour wasn’t fun, but I was thanking my lucky stars, and cursing my foolishness. Learned a lot. Stupidity will do that.
Kayak would be a no go for me personally.

I should clarify, I guess I was thinking more about rafts, kind of Alaska caribou floating hunt, I have very little experience with water craft. sorry for using the wrong term.

I don't know about a kayak but I use a couple different canoes to get into and out of some areas that otherwise don't get hunted. Like others have said.. you'll run into issues getting the meat out in the kayak. I have done a smaller deer once in one but wont do it again. A raft or canoe you shouldn't have those issues. A cheap tandem canoe can be found fairly easily on marketplace and will allow you to haul everything but the kitchen sink in and out and also be more stable.
View attachment 309482

Love the worn hoofs on that deer! He would have made a very recognizable track!

Have any of you guys ever hunted elk out of a kayak? I have found a unit that has good public but very little access to it, but there is a river that touches it in a few places so I think it would be doable to hunt out of a boat, except that I have never used a boat before. Any pointers?

I've got an Alpackaraft Oryx I'm about to sell if you're interested, used once...

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back