Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Arizona Desert Sheep

BuzzH

I could write a novel about this hunt...but will keep it as short as I can.

This hunt was everything I expected from a Desert Sheep hunt, and just the chance to hunt them is nothing short of amazing.

I arrived in Arizona with a full 10 days to scout. I had planned on 14 days but had some work obligations that slowed me down. I wasnt all that concerned as I'd done a pretty good amount of research prior to getting there, including several phone calls to the local biologist. I'd also been in contact with a previous tag holder who took an awesome sheep last year and he was very, very helpful. In fact, Jim drove 4 hours to spend a day scouting with me. Great guy and really knows that area well.

So, the first afternoon after I set up my camp, I decided to hit an area where many sheep have been taken according to the harvest stats. The second place I look...bingo...8 sheep all rams. I looked them over and the best in the bunch I figured would be around 150, a solid ram. I spent most of the next day just learning the road system and looking for areas that need to be hiked into to glass. From what I was seeing, it was pretty intuitive where to look. But, what I later found is that even though an area may look good, the sheep were not always there. But, for the most part, the areas that looked like they should hold sheep did.

A few pictures of some of the country:

IMG_0950.JPG

This area I ended up finding a total of 17 different rams, and its in an area where not many rams have come from over the years.

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

The two most important pieces of gear needed to find sheep in the desert:

IMG_0914.JPG

On the third day of scouting and seeing quite a number of rams, I found one that I really liked. He is an awesome sheep, and I'm positive still running around out there. I watched this ram for almost 2 hours at close range, even attempting to count his growth rings. I'm sure that he is 9 years old for sure, but I clearly counted 10-11 rings when he layed his horn on the ground while napping.

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG

Once I found this ram, the pressure was sure off for the remaining 5-6 days of scouting. I decided to look over some fringe habitat and in areas where I knew sheep densities were very low. I spent one day in an area that looked great, but even though I covered it as well as I could, I never saw a single sheep. Not even much sign, and what was there was old.

I'd pretty well made up my mind on Wednesday before the hunt that I would be looking for that broomed ram. Thursday morning I left camp early and quickly found a herd of 10 sheep with 9 rams and 1 ewe in it. The sheep fed down to the flats and I went out to a high spot for a closer look. There were 4 good rams in the bunch, but one really stood out.

IMG_0946.JPG

This guy was the one that stood out, just carried the mass so well, great color to his horns, etc.

IMG_0948.JPG

...continue on next post.

Last edited:
I watched the 9 rams until noon, when they fed into a draw and "appeared" to bed for the day. I went on to some other areas and also got in touch with Stan (AZ402) and told him what I found. Stan said he'd be at my camp about 5:30 so I hurried to another spot to look for the broomed ram. I didnt find him but found yet another very good ram. I dont have pictures, but do have video. He had looping horns that looked to be very long for the area. A great sheep that will be even better in a few years.

I met Stan at about 6 pm and we started looking over pictures of the sheep. Stan agreed that the broomed ram and the heavier one in the group of 9 were the best 2, with the loopey ram being a pretty close 3rd.

The next morning we head out to try to get a look at the 9 rams. We get there and find some other hunters near where I'd found them the day before. We glassed for 3-4 hours and they werent where I left them the previous day. Mind you, up to this point, the day before the season, I had not seen anyone else scouting. In fact, the area where the broomed ram, loopey, and their 15 friends were, the only tire tracks on the road to get in there were mine.

Eventually we discovered that the other hunter with his posse of 5 trucks, a rhino, jeep, and atv's were looking at the 9 rams just above them. Those rams had moved about 2 miles. I was feeling a bit disappointed as I'd finally decided on the heavy ram in that bunch. But, while talking it over with Stan, I told him that I didnt want my once in a lifetime desert hunt to turn into a foot-race. I figured those guys would stay on those rams all day, and public land hunting is what it is. So, we went and looked in the other spot and found loopey right away, about 200 yards from where I left him the night before. We then went and looked for the broomed ram and didnt turn him up. About an hour before dark we went back to see what was going on with the posse and the 9 rams. Sure enough, the guys are still there. I was glassing south of where they were looking and saw a sheep. I took Stans 15x56's to put them on the sheep I'd seen...and there was no sheep there??? I was "sure" I'd seen a sheep in the black rocks, but I couldnt pick it up in the 15's. About 10 minutes later I pick up the 10 sheep feeding in the same black rocks. Stan and I watched them as they quickly made their way across the slope moving south to another basin. The posse at the rhino that had been there all day apparently lost them and had NO idea the sheep moved.

Its amazing how things can change from one minute to the next on any hunt, but Stan and I were a bit shocked and in disbelief that they would lose the sheep just 30 minutes before dark. Stan watched the sheep until it was too dark to see and we left the area.

We decided to get up early and get up to the mouth of basin those rams were in way before light. Surprisingly, I slept fairly well although did toss and turn a bit. The road we had to take went right through the "camp" the posse set up. We drove through and not a person was a stirring. We figured since they werent even out of bed yet, we'd wait for about a half hour and hike in.

We got to the mouth of the canyon just as the gray of the first light was allowing us to glass. We heard some chukars clucking above us, which is something I'll never forget. We stayed at the mouth of the canyon until we had good light, and couldnt find the sheep. We then figured we'd just walk up canyon checking out each side as we went hoping they hadnt left the area. We got about half way and I decided to cross to the opposite side while Stan stayed on the other side. We hadnt gone far when I look over and see Stan pointing in front of me and giving me the thumbs up. I knew that could only mean one thing. Stan crossed over to my side and said he saw the sheep in the next cut in front of me. We decided to get up to a rocky ridge that would put us close to the sheep. We got our stuff together, Stan got the video camera ready and we moved up to the ridge. I peeked over and there was the heavy ram, 2 smaller rams and the ewe. We got everything set and Stan told me he had the ram in the view finder. He was feeding along at 80 yards, totally oblivious to us. I told Stan when he stopped I'd shoot. He stopped...and like a 12 year old kid...I actually had to talk myself through the shot. Put the dot behind his shoulder, squeeze the trigger....at the shot I knew my desert sheep hunt was done. The ram bolted down hill and I could see the blood right behind his shoulder and right in the middle of his body. He ran into the draw, started to wobble and went down. I stood there in disbelief. There was no hooping, there was no hollering from either Stan or I over what just happened. We looked at him laying in the draw and then went down for a closer look. It was a long time before we even touched him. We sat down and really enjoyed the experience for what it was. I still cant believe it.

A few pics:

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_5112.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0978.JPG

I probably havent really done the hunt justice with words...but I dont know that anyone really ever could. The desert and the wild sheep that live there are special. It makes me smile to know that in 2012 there is still places like this with sheep populations viable enough to allow hunting. I take nothing for granted about this hunt, nothing.

Many thanks to Jim N. for all his help and also to Stan for being there for a great hunt.

Couldnt help but notice this sunset on the evening of my hunt...the perfect ending to a great day.

IMG_1000.JPG

Congrats on a great ram! Nicely done! The story and photos I will continue to revisit many times.

Thank-you for sharing this adventure. This reader would buy that novel as long as the great photography is included.

What an awesome hunt.. Congrats

Wow!! :eek: What a ram!! Nice job Buzz! Great to have guys around to come help, nicely done Stan.

Nice job Buzz. Thats a great sheep. I'd like to hear a little about the reaction of the "posse" if there was any. I assume you had to drive that ram back thru their camp on the way out.

Congrats on a wonderful animal and experience. Most of us will never get to walk in your shoes w/ something like this and for that I say thank you for sharing! Great job Buzz!

Fantastic ram Buzz- congratulations!! That desert is truly an amazing place, thanks for sharing your hunt. in a word, AWESOME.......

Unbelievable!!! Great ram Buzz. I understand the feelings you had once your sheep was down. Almost like you're not supposed to be in the same space with an animal like that. They almost seem more mythical than real. Congrats.

Your posse didnt have a big crew but you sure showed em' how to hunt! Congrats on a hunt
of a lifetime and thanks for sharing.Great pics too.

Nice ram. Good story too. Did Stan bring his trademark assless sleeping bag along?

Buzz did a great job with the story. I'll try and add a little but more with my pics and take on the hunt. This is the third hunt I've been able to go on with Buzz in AZ over the last seven years. This particular hunt being pretty amazing.

I can't imagine anybody who had the tag put in any more effort and homework than Buzz.

It's funny he mentioned there was no hooting and hollering after the shot. I think out of awe of the hunt and respect for the awesome animal on the ground, we were both a little bit in shock.

Here are a few pics from my camera documentation.

Buzz shot from the V in this rock.

5-P1260514.jpg

Looking down on us and their fallen buddy.

1-P1260503.jpg

2-P1260506.jpg

One last look before he left the canyon.

4-P1260511.jpg

Buzz admiring his awesome Ram.

3-P1260507.jpg

"Posse" Shot.

6-P1260518.jpg

Hunt up hill pack down hill, took the advice of the ever annoying Dinkshooter and it worked out. Nothing like having a 100lbs of sheep in your pack.

7-P1260521.jpg

My drive home yeilded a pretty nice sunset as well.

8-P1260526.jpg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back