Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Arizona desert sheep tag!!!

Still in pursuit! Even though I've known this was going to be a pretty tough hunt - it's turning into a lot more challenging hunt than expected. Neither I nor other tag holder have had a shot opportunity. He almost had a shot at 200 yds, but not quick enough with his rifle. Me? Not even close yet.

Have seen one really red horned ram that I have trail pics of - last week ram, but not for now. Went after one ram this morning, stupidly. Never saw him after he cleared the saddle where we first saw him. Pretty sure my # 1 ram is with his buds (4 Amigos) w-a-y up in nose bleed country (saw them last week). No way can they be hunted successfully where they were seen. Rethinking game plan.

Cell service is VERY spotty here in my hunt unit - sorry for the delayed update. I'll work on checking in on a more timely basis in/for the days to come. I'll try to post some pics in the next few days (would be REALLY happy if those pics would be of my downed ram.

Everyone be safe!

Okay, you guys can call me on the carpet! Lots of water under the bridge --- my bad ...

As I re-hash my Arizona desert bighorn sheep hunt from December, view it at your own peril as you find the time ;-) (not a short tale) ...

My hunt took place in the extreme southwest corner of Arizona --- NOT a particularly hospitable piece of geography ...

Tom's sheep hunt - Gilas.JPG

The largest ram ever taken from my hunt unit scored 168 5/8 in; I had 2 rams on my dream hit list that would score slightly larger ...

"Butkus," who'd push 170 in. ...

Tom's sheep hunt - Butkus.JPG

And another slightly larger ram (who moved back & forth between units) ...

Tom's sheep hunt - Brute solo.jpg

I set up camp 2 days before Thanksgiving (my hunt started that Sunday) ...

Tom's sheep hunt 1 - camp .JPG

I was very fortunate to have several members of the Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society come down to help glass for sheep. My hunt unit encompassed approx. 125 sq. mi. (vertical, NOT flat!), with maybe 6-8 real shooter rams among the 125 total sheep --- a daunting task to undertake truly OYO ...

Tom's sheep hunt 2 - tent set-up.JPG

Opening morning found me glassing with a couple friends. The other guys were scattered several miles apart, glassing up into the mountains ...

Tom's sheep hunt 3 - opening morn glassing.JPG

After several hours with no rams spotted, my buddy Rex hoofed up to a saddle to check out what we couldn't see from where we were ...

Tom's sheep hunt - Rex opening morn.JPG

Turned out that a local hunter I've met a few times over the years tagged out opening morning (after applying for a desert sheep tag over 40 years!). Got me pumped when I got his rams' pics in a text :rolleyes:

The mountain range he killed his ram in, east of my camp (neighboring hunt unit) ...

Tom's sheep hunt - Copper Mtns at sunset.JPG

Ram scored approx. 165 in ...

Tom's sheep hunt - Robbie's ram.JPG

Right side looked as nice as this left side ...

Tom's sheep hunt - Robbie's ram left side.JPG

Did you just post another guy's ram to stall?
Ryan-Gosling-Oh-No-You-Didnt-Half-Nelson.gif

Fast forward a couple of days ...

North side of mountain where high mountain water catchment is (to right and a bit below tallest peak on far right): on the way for an afternoon glassing session ...

Tom's sheep hunt - ram band view from desert floor.JPG

2 miles away from band of 4 rams (unfortunately too far for pic in low light); rams just to left of 2 cream-colored cliff faces in center, 1/4 way below top. Consensus is that Butkus is in the group, and the largest. Finally ...

Tom's sheep hunt -  ram band spotted.JPG

Next morning found us back glassing from closer --- we spot a couple rams ...

Tom's sheep hunt -Sheep Mtn - they're  right there.JPG

They're moving down into a cut, but we don't see Butkus (they're still about 2,000 yards away, and U-P there!). Frustration ...

Tom's sheep hunt - Dec. 4 Sheep Mtn glassing.JPG

The next morning finds me solo, aiming for the saddle on the finger below center "w" on horizon in pic above; this is drainage I hiked across (for size perspective, the green is palo verde trees, not bushes) ...

Tom's sheep hunt - ram band hike route.JPG

View back down to where we glassed from (shallow saddle on ridge, just below yellow horizontal slash); still 1,330 yards away from where sheep were. Drat --- no rams seen that morning!

Tom's sheep hunt - view from ram band saddle.JPG

You got me sitting on the edge of my seat. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully the next pic I see is of the Ram you shot.

Got a text then that my fly fishing buddy's neighbor had also tagged out opening morning after spending over 10 miles in the saddle just to get to the mountains he'd be hunting (desert wilderness area). Ram scored 166 in ...

Tom's sheep hunt - Kev's neighbor Tom Guffin's ram 1.jpg

Tom's sheep hunt - Kev's neighbore Tom Guffin's ram 2.jpg

Okay, seeing other guys' successes pumped some fresh hope into my veins (I hadn't got close yet) ...

Over the years it seems a lot of guys tag out the first 3-5 days of their sheep hunts. Seemed to be playing out that way this year in other hunt units ...

Ram killed on 3rd day of hunt in adjoining hunt unit, the same day we spotted the "4 Amigos," (Butkus with his 3 buddies) ...

Tom's sheep hunt - Diener's ram left side cropped.JPG

Tom's sheep hunt - Diener's ram right side cropped.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back