Yeti GOBOX Collection

Arizona CC Hits

I just keep going by the motto, you can't win if you don't play.

Definitely a large increase due to media creating awareness but I think it's all for the betterment of hunting.

The question I have is how many people drop out because of decreasing health/ability due to age? More specifically the baby boomer generation as I believe they are a large percentage of applicants. Curious if guys are getting to a certain age and deciding they are not up for these hunts or if they will try draw regardless. I realize health will vary widely for each individual.

The question I have is how many people drop out because of decreasing health/ability due to age? More specifically the baby boomer generation as I believe they are a large percentage of applicants. Curious if guys are getting to a certain age and deciding they are not up for these hunts or if they will try draw regardless. I realize health will vary widely for each individual.

Probably depends on how much skin they have in the game. I think someone that has accumulated points for years isn’t going to just walk away. Our body's fail before our optimism and as someone already mentioned it might change from DIY to guided.
I told myself I was done with Arizona when I drew my tag a few years ago. The last year before AZ changed the NR allocation but here I am still applying. It’s a great place to hunt...

I don't think it's nearly as much as we like to think. I feel the truth is once a guy has 15 or more years invested he is staying in the game until he draws the tag. A good example someone I'm familiar with drew a Henry deer tag two years ago. The guy was one of the last two in the point pool. He couldn't even walk basically after age got the best of him. But he drew it and went and shot a small buck. I'd do the same personally after applying for 25 years.

I quit playing the game of "can't win if you don't play" this year in a few states and quit pissing my hard earned money away. I'd rather retire early and spend more time hunting and fishing locally myself.

I'm pretty sure odds of winning one of the raffles is higher than drawing an antelope tag in AZ or a glory tag in Utah.
I would agree with this wholeheartedly. I know several people that have drawn multiple AZ antelope tags in a short period and others wait 30 years. The sad thing is, AZ's antelope are NOTHING like they were 10 years ago. you would be hard pressed to find an 80"er in a lot of the units anymore.

I just keep going by the motto, you can't win if you don't play.

Definitely a large increase due to media creating awareness but I think it's all for the betterment of hunting.

Many of them are learning they can sell those points to party applications for real money. And thanks to point guard they can do it twice.

Many of them are learning they can sell those points to party applications for real money. And thanks to point guard they can do it twice.
Do I just do an ad on craiglist or backpage? I've probably got a couple camo shirts that are a little too short where I could show some skin. . .

I wonder how rampant this really is.

Mine are still the same even though it shows updated today. Still doesn't show that I put in for elk.
I still show pending applications but bonus points still erroneously shows none.

I would love to see additional information on who makes up the new applicants--not just for AZ but for western states generally. It seems like the popularity has been through the roof the last several years--I'm curious if there will be a fatigue by some applicants in the coming years or if this is what we can expect going forward.
There is a fairly high percentage of people in all states that apply a few times and drop out. A few years ago I took a look at a few states and the number of people at various point levels over 3-4 years, and at the low to mid point levels there were consistently fewer people moving on to the next point level than there should have been given the number of tags issued.

Yep. An outfitter on JScott’s(who I like) podcast admitted that his daughter wasn’t going to hunt elk that year, but he put her in a party app with two girls that had zero points to get them tags, and used point guard to save his daughter’s points. I wanted to vomit.

Yep. An outfitter on JScott’s(who I like) podcast admitted that his daughter wasn’t going to hunt elk that year, but he put her in a party app with two girls that had zero points to get them tags, and used point guard to save his daughter’s points. I wanted to vomit.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I listened to a similar discussion on another podcast that was discussing this concept of "point riding"... seem ethically questionable in my opinion.

There is a fairly high percentage of people in all states that apply a few times and drop out. A few years ago I took a look at a few states and the number of people at various point levels over 3-4 years, and at the low to mid point levels there were consistently fewer people moving on to the next point level than there should have been given the number of tags issued.

That’s complete BS. I never knew that was happening. I guess any time theres a
System in place someone will find a Way to cheat it.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I listened to a similar discussion on another podcast that was discussing this concept of "point riding"... seem ethically questionable in my opinion.
I’m okay with a guy with twenty points and a guy with four points applying together and getting 10-12pt hunt out of the deal. The total number of points removed from the system is the same, so future year draw odds aren’t really impacted. The guy with 20pts didn’t get the most bang for his points. Oh well.

Using point guard to preserve the high point holders points, so the rest of the party gets a free ride on the other hand? That’s terrible!

Frankly, why are we to believe that the guy who admitted to it, really even took his daughter’s friends? If he’ll use his daughter’s points let her “friends” jump higher in the line, he’d do it for a paying client.

Randy and Corey talked about how bad the moon was going to be and Corey was not applying. So everyone took that as it’s the year to finally draw seeing apps will be down. Except they told their buds and they all applied.
Drought and moon phase are a non-issue when you're over 50 years old...I don't have the luxury of waiting 10 years for the best conditions and moon phase.

I'll greedily take any rifle bull elk tag any year AZ is willing to give me one...period.

That’s complete BS. I never knew that was happening. I guess any time theres a
System in place someone will find a Way to cheat it.
Nearly every Arizona resident hunter I know does this with their entire family. These concerns were raised before PointGuard was implemented, but were ignored.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back