Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Arizona 3B North HAM Elk

Your pictures are giving me a false sense of confidence :ROFLMAO: I drew late muzzleloader for 3B and have gotten so many mixed reviews on the unit. I'll be up there a full week prior to the hunt, so hopefully can find something! Thanks for the hope!

Closing the loop on this hunt. I was fortunate to take a decent bull on day 3 of this hunt with a lot of luck on my side. Not a big bull by any means but good for this area of the unit. It took a few days to realize the bulls were pretty call shy as the rut was winding down during this time period. Bugling was OK until you got close and then they would bust. We found a remote area of the unit that looked 'elky' and instead of bugles we did soft cow calls to locate and moved in. I was able to cow call between a herd bull with 5-6 cows and a satellite bull trying to pick off his cows. Snuck into about 100 yards and waited until he stepped in a lane. Downed him with the muzzleloader. Mornings were great. Evenings sucked. Ran into quite a few hunters as well. This hunt is hard despite killing on day 3. Very few elk and navigating the sea of rolling cedar country can be daunting. It's a great hunt if want to hunt close to your cabin and bring the family. But if you're looking for a giant bull and lot's of them, AZ has many other units to choose from. Show Low is a neat area but may be in search of a new place to hunt in AZ for the next round. Happy to help any HT folks if needed. Here are some pics:
Heck, I'd be proud of that bull for sure! I have a 3B late muzzleloader tag this year. If I could kill something even clsoe to that I'd be ecstatic. Congrats!

I drew the AZ 3B North HAM Elk tag, Oct 1st to 7th, and would really like to chat with anyone via PM that knows this area. I know the South end of the unit (South of Hwy 60) is the better location to hunt but the stats were still pretty good on this particular hunt and the dates made sense so I threw it in as my 2nd pick. I do have a little intel on this unit but am really curious if anyone on HT has had success on this hunt and the strategies they used to be successful. As always, not looking for spots, just tactics and behavior of elk on this hunt since it is tail end of peak rut and pressure in the South from the archery and muzzy hunts happens before these dates.
I got drawing for 3b north for the week of 8/11 though 8/17, it’s a HAM hunt and was going to do muzzleloader. Do you have any advise for the hunt? This is my first hunt for elk.

Closing the loop on this hunt. I was fortunate to take a decent bull on day 3 of this hunt with a lot of luck on my side. Not a big bull by any means but good for this area of the unit. It took a few days to realize the bulls were pretty call shy as the rut was winding down during this time period. Bugling was OK until you got close and then they would bust. We found a remote area of the unit that looked 'elky' and instead of bugles we did soft cow calls to locate and moved in. I was able to cow call between a herd bull with 5-6 cows and a satellite bull trying to pick off his cows. Snuck into about 100 yards and waited until he stepped in a lane. Downed him with the muzzleloader. Mornings were great. Evenings sucked. Ran into quite a few hunters as well. This hunt is hard despite killing on day 3. Very few elk and navigating the sea of rolling cedar country can be daunting. It's a great hunt if want to hunt close to your cabin and bring the family. But if you're looking for a giant bull and lot's of them, AZ has many other units to choose from. Show Low is a neat area but may be in search of a new place to hunt in AZ for the next round. Happy to help any HT folks if needed. Here are some pics:
I was drawn for the HAM hunt for cow 8/11-8/17, what is your advice on should I keep it or use my point guard. I was thinking of using my muzzleloader, my in-laws are saying to not go on the hunt.

I got drawing for 3b north for the week of 8/11 though 8/17, it’s a HAM hunt and was going to do muzzleloader. Do you have any advise for the hunt? This is my first hunt for elk.
Welcome
I was drawn for the HAM hunt for cow 8/11-8/17, what is your advice on should I keep it or use my point guard. I was thinking of using my muzzleloader, my in-laws are saying to not go on the hunt.
To
I was drawn for the HAM cow hunt for the week of 8/11-8/17, I am being told to use my point guard. What are your thoughts?
Hunttalk!

Heck, I'd be proud of that bull for sure! I have a 3B late muzzleloader tag this year. If I could kill something even clsoe to that I'd be ecstatic. Congrats!
I was drawn for 3B North the week of August 11 through the 17th, I never heard of this area before. Do you have any advice? It’s a ham hunt for a cow.

I was drawn for 3B North the week of August 11 through the 17th, I never heard of this area before. Do you have any advice? It’s a ham hunt for a cow.
If you have access to private you could fill it. The public north of 60 is a vast sea of juniper. About the only way to kill one in that is with snow and tracking them. You can’t see more than 30 yards. If you didn’t know anything about it why did you apply?

If you have access to private you could fill it. The public north of 60 is a vast sea of juniper. About the only way to kill one in that is with snow and tracking them. You can’t see more than 30 yards. If you didn’t know anything about it why did you apply?
I just picked it blindly picked to fill my 6th choice. I have always wanted to try muzzleloader is one reason. I am new to elk hunting, I have deer hunted in Michigan for years until I moved to AZ in 2011.

Most of that area is OTC from March 1 to July 31. There are a ton of little ranchettes everywhere. White Mtn Estates is the crystal meth capital of eastern AZ, you can go from hunting to being the hunted very quick if you cross private. Not a prime area, but it's still elk hunting. August is HOT, have a plan in place in case you get lucky so you don't lose any meat!

Most of that area is OTC from March 1 to July 31. There are a ton of little ranchettes everywhere. White Mtn Estates is the crystal meth capital of eastern AZ, you can go from hunting to being the hunted very quick if you cross private. Not a prime area, but it's still elk hunting. August is HOT, have a plan in place in case you get lucky so you don't lose any meat!
I didn’t know that, changes things a bit, sounds like onx is a for sure but! lol

Back