Arizona 3B North HAM Elk

AK2NV

I drew the AZ 3B North HAM Elk tag, Oct 1st to 7th, and would really like to chat with anyone via PM that knows this area. I know the South end of the unit (South of Hwy 60) is the better location to hunt but the stats were still pretty good on this particular hunt and the dates made sense so I threw it in as my 2nd pick. I do have a little intel on this unit but am really curious if anyone on HT has had success on this hunt and the strategies they used to be successful. As always, not looking for spots, just tactics and behavior of elk on this hunt since it is tail end of peak rut and pressure in the South from the archery and muzzy hunts happens before these dates.

I drew the AZ 3B North HAM Elk tag, Oct 1st to 7th, and would really like to chat with anyone via PM that knows this area. I know the South end of the unit (South of Hwy 60) is the better location to hunt but the stats were still pretty good on this particular hunt and the dates made sense so I threw it in as my 2nd pick. I do have a little intel on this unit but am really curious if anyone on HT has had success on this hunt and the strategies they used to be successful. As always, not looking for spots, just tactics and behavior of elk on this hunt since it is tail end of peak rut and pressure in the South from the archery and muzzy hunts happens before these dates.
PM me

Very chopped up land ownership. The elk will rut but it doesn’t take much for them to be out of the unit or on to private. Also, be sure to monitor your distance from all buildings.

Last edited:
Very chopped up land ownership. The elk will tut but it doesn’t take much for them to be out of the unit or on to private. Also, be sure to monitor your distance from all buildings.
Thanks for the info! I definitely see the private scattered everywhere. Will pay attention for sure.

In Arizona you can hunt private without permission as long as its not posted. With AZ's new 1/4 mile rule even with archery you will find yourself with in a 1/4 mile of a house before you're on posted private. Areas would be Pintail, Silver creek golf course, Silver Lake Estates, and Ortega Mountain.

In Arizona you can hunt private without permission as long as its not posted. With AZ's new 1/4 mile rule even with archery you will find yourself with in a 1/4 mile of a house before you're on posted private. Areas would be Pintail, Silver creek golf course, Silver Lake Estates, and Ortega Mountain.
Good to know! Idaho used to be like that and Nevada is similar. This 1/4 mile rule seems a little ridiculous for archery. Will have to be very careful, especially in 3B. Does door knocking work in this area? Retirement communities and such seem to be a mixed bag of pro and anti-hunters.

Good to know! Idaho used to be like that and Nevada is similar. This 1/4 mile rule seems a little ridiculous for archery. Will have to be very careful, especially in 3B. Does door knocking work in this area? Retirement communities and such seem to be a mixed bag of pro and anti-hunters.
I don’t see the need to door knock as there are plenty of places to hunt

Closing the loop on this hunt. I was fortunate to take a decent bull on day 3 of this hunt with a lot of luck on my side. Not a big bull by any means but good for this area of the unit. It took a few days to realize the bulls were pretty call shy as the rut was winding down during this time period. Bugling was OK until you got close and then they would bust. We found a remote area of the unit that looked 'elky' and instead of bugles we did soft cow calls to locate and moved in. I was able to cow call between a herd bull with 5-6 cows and a satellite bull trying to pick off his cows. Snuck into about 100 yards and waited until he stepped in a lane. Downed him with the muzzleloader. Mornings were great. Evenings sucked. Ran into quite a few hunters as well. This hunt is hard despite killing on day 3. Very few elk and navigating the sea of rolling cedar country can be daunting. It's a great hunt if want to hunt close to your cabin and bring the family. But if you're looking for a giant bull and lot's of them, AZ has many other units to choose from. Show Low is a neat area but may be in search of a new place to hunt in AZ for the next round. Happy to help any HT folks if needed. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• bull1.jpg
    bull1.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 121
  • bull3.jpg
    bull3.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 122
Closing the loop on this hunt. I was fortunate to take a decent bull on day 3 of this hunt with a lot of luck on my side. Not a big bull by any means but good for this area of the unit. It took a few days to realize the bulls were pretty call shy as the rut was winding down during this time period. Bugling was OK until you got close and then they would bust. We found a remote area of the unit that looked 'elky' and instead of bugles we did soft cow calls to locate and moved in. I was able to cow call between a herd bull with 5-6 cows and a satellite bull trying to pick off his cows. Snuck into about 100 yards and waited until he stepped in a lane. Downed him with the muzzleloader. Mornings were great. Evenings sucked. Ran into quite a few hunters as well. This hunt is hard despite killing on day 3. Very few elk and navigating the sea of rolling cedar country can be daunting. It's a great hunt if want to hunt close to your cabin and bring the family. But if you're looking for a giant bull and lot's of them, AZ has many other units to choose from. Show Low is a neat area but may be in search of a new place to hunt in AZ for the next round. Happy to help any HT folks if needed. Here are some pics:
My question is always: Would you do this hunt again? I'm guessing thats a no?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back