Argentina Bound

seeth07

So when I woke up this morning, I partially joked to my wife that with my bonus week of vacation I get next year, we should use it to fulfill my dream of traveling to Argentina to hunt. I told her it may be an opportunity to fulfill her dream of harvesting an Axis deer.

By noon I got a text asking me if I looked into flights or outfitters and figured anything out yet. By 9pm tonight, she was showing me lodges and outfitters she liked.

Didn't see that one coming! So now it's time I suppose to get serious and it's a bit overwhelming trying to even narrow down outfits to call and interview. I have some good ideas already thanks to some tips of people to check out. My dream is to waterfowl hunt so hopefully she let's me do that :)

Since I don't see much on here for info about others traveling there, I'll do my best to keep this topic updated with info on my research, planning and then finally the hunt!

Does anyone know by chance if the export law in Argentina is still around preventing you from bring home any native species parts or pieces?

Its not a complete deal breaker but I was not aware of this and the latest update I can find on the internet is from 2018 and it literally states "still as of early 2018, waterfowl are not allowed to be exported out of Argentina". The wording just makes me think that maybe this policy was changing?

How about the neighboring country of Chili, Uruguay or Paraguay?

Good wife...
I have her trained! HAHAHA I wish...more like she has me trained. I tell her I want to do a hunt for me and thinking that I needed to convince her, I tossed a little bone out there and she took that thing and went running!

We couldn’t afford the airfare
it was more than the cost of the hunt :confused:
and $15 per box shotshell
$15 per box is a steal right now lol I'm paying $9.99 for fricken trap loads!

Airfare isn't too bad right now, at least not as much as I expected. Round trip right at $1000/person. Most places I've been looking at so far are in the ballpark of $750 to $1300 per day.

So when I woke up this morning, I partially joked to my wife that with my bonus week of vacation I get next year, we should use it to fulfill my dream of traveling to Argentina to hunt. I told her it may be an opportunity to fulfill her dream of harvesting an Axis deer.

By noon I got a text asking me if I looked into flights or outfitters and figured anything out yet. By 9pm tonight, she was showing me lodges and outfitters she liked.

Didn't see that one coming! So now it's time I suppose to get serious and it's a bit overwhelming trying to even narrow down outfits to call and interview. I have some good ideas already thanks to some tips of people to check out. My dream is to waterfowl hunt so hopefully she let's me do that :)

Since I don't see much on here for info about others traveling there, I'll do my best to keep this topic updated with info on my research, planning and then finally the hunt!

I was checking out a hunt down there next year but so far haven't found an outfitter who turns my crank. I'm a bird hunting junkie but not at all interested in standing in one place and shooting endlessly at doves or ducks all day as someone constantly hands me reloaded guns. Would like to get onto a red stag hunt but either it's shooting a specially bred (and priced!) freak off the back porch of the lodge (literally!) or riding around on a horse in rolling plains to do a spot and stalk. The latter very much appealed to me until the outfitter sent photos of recently successful clients. I don't think I want to pay $8K to shoot what's essentially a raghorn. Still considering it. All the hunts seem to be during the rut when the bulls come down out of the mountains to gather harems. I've seen how vulnerable elk can be during the rut. Meah. Wish I could find an outfitter who goes after stag later when snow is on the ground and tracks them in timber rather than driving around to spot mindless sex crazed bulls in the open. Apparently it is VERY difficult to get a gun into the country and all the outfitters I investigated strongly advised against it. That is discouraging.

Let me know what you turn up.

I was checking out a hunt down there next year but so far haven't found an outfitter who turns my crank. I'm a bird hunting junkie but not at all interested in standing in one place and shooting endlessly at doves or ducks all day as someone constantly hands me reloaded guns. Would like to get onto a red stag hunt but either it's shooting a specially bred (and priced!) freak off the back porch of the lodge (literally!) or riding around on a horse in rolling plains to do a spot and stalk. The latter very much appealed to me until the outfitter sent photos of recently successful clients. I don't think I want to pay $8K to shoot what's essentially a raghorn. Still considering it. All the hunts seem to be during the rut when the bulls come down out of the mountains to gather harems. I've seen how vulnerable elk can be during the rut. Meah. Wish I could find an outfitter who goes after stag later when snow is on the ground and tracks them in timber rather than driving around to spot mindless sex crazed bulls in the open. Apparently it is VERY difficult to get a gun into the country and all the outfitters I investigated strongly advised against it. That is discouraging.

Let me know what you turn up.
For sure will. Sounds like me and you are looking for very similar things! Would you be going solo?

I have her trained! HAHAHA I wish...more like she has me trained. I tell her I want to do a hunt for me and thinking that I needed to convince her, I tossed a little bone out there and she took that thing and went running!
Mine would help me pack while she and our daughter packed for New Orleans...

From what I've heard the export law is still in place but that was a while back.
Was that just birds or all animals? I guess that could be kind of a deal breaker. I'll do some investigating. Thanks for heads up. For obvious reasons I don't expect the outfitters to put any info on export issues on their sites.

Edit: Actually, I was wrong (unbelievable but true). Two Argentine outfitters have sections on their sites dealing with taxidermy and shipping process. Horns and skulls are good to go but can be quite a wait involved.

Last edited:
Was that just birds or all animals? I guess that could be kind of a deal breaker. I'll do some investigating. Thanks for heads up. For obvious reasons I don't expect the outfitters to put any info on export issues on their sites.

Edit: Actually, I was wrong (unbelievable but true). Two Argentine outfitters have sections on their sites dealing with taxidermy and shipping process. Horns and skulls are good to go but can be quite a wait involved.
Its just on native species. So waterfowl, doves, cabybara, brocket deer, pampas deer, etc. Since you can't do anything with them as a visitor to the country, almost all outfitters don't advertise hunting for them.

Its just on native species. So waterfowl, doves, cabybara, brocket deer, pampas deer, etc. Since you can't do anything with them as a visitor to the country, almost all outfitters don't advertise hunting for them.
Thanks. They do advertise puma hunts. Very pricey though. Not that I'm interested in shooting one anyway.

My Dad went this year to a ranch in the La Pampa region, he had an absolute blast and killed a monster Red Stag. It was a high fence ranch but was like 30,000 acres so not like 100 acre field or "shooting off the back porch of the ranch house". Hunt was before the roar so they weren't making much noise, was spot and stalk in the bush. He also killed a nice Blackbuck. Puma was free if they saw one as they wanted rid of them. We are scheduled to go in 2024 and I'm pretty excited. He was able to get his capes and horns shipped back (they are still in transit) so no problem with export at least of those animals.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpeg
    IMG_0528.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 43
Congrats on the trip/hunt @seeth07. Never hunted it but have had the pleasure of seeing some of the country. Absolutely beautiful and unsoiled lands and are truly amazing just to look at. Enjoy trip, takes and share lots of pictures with us.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back