Are WY LE Elk Units worth the wait for nonresidents?

I've hunted Wyoming general tags a couple times for archery and had good hunts both times. If your happy with a 280"-300" bull and know how to kill em I would compare the general to a low end LE hunt in most states.

Obviously, LE is going to offer less pressure at times but I think the general season of Wyoming is awesome. Less points and hunting more often make the general season a great choice.

Maybe the Mid to late 2000's were the golden years in Wyoming. Drawing a General Elk Tag every other year, and a Region Deer tag the years we didn't. Heck there were years we got them as second choices...Eventually in the 10's we applied in the special draw for an earlier LE season in a General Unit. My last hunt there was 2015.

I think if you find a piece of country you can draw deer tags the years you don't draw elk, you can really get to know the country over the years. That really doesn't matter the state. I think my point gathering is going to be for Wilderness units where I can do the kind of hunts I always dreamed of as a kid. For me a 300 inch bull 10-20 miles from the end of the road packed out on my own horses makes me as happy as a 350 bull I could drive to. Call it #stylepoints.

Obviously, LE is going to offer less pressure at times but I think the general season of Wyoming is awesome. Less points and hunting more often make the general season a great choice.
is hunting pressure during the general elk rifle seasons terrible?

We day hunted general within about 3 miles of the road, there were other people around but rarely saw them, found elk most days, I killed a small 5 point, my friend had a few chances but never quite got the shot. Seemed like the hunter pressure was more of an effect on the archery hunting, not much bugling in September, heard more in October during rifle season.

We day hunted general within about 3 miles of the road, there were other people around but rarely saw them, found elk most days, I killed a small 5 point, my friend had a few chances but never quite got the shot. Seemed like the hunter pressure was more of an effect on the archery hunting, not much bugling in September, heard more in October during rifle season.
good intel. thanks for this. that's the scenario I'm looking for. I value not seeing many other hunters and will work to find it.

Well worth the wait. I also hunt other states and animals while building points.

Attachments

• F6731EA9-9B96-4F03-AB7A-3B3F9F995C7B.jpeg
    F6731EA9-9B96-4F03-AB7A-3B3F9F995C7B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
Maybe the Mid to late 2000's were the golden years in Wyoming. Drawing a General Elk Tag every other year, and a Region Deer tag the years we didn't. Heck there were years we got them as second choices...
Probably need to add a "for Non-residents" caveat at the end of that first sentence. I had a General elk tag in Wyoming each year from 2008 through 2013, then drew a LE tag in 2014. I was applying in the special draw with General as my second choice. That went away in 2015 and unless something crazy happens that is never going to happen again.

For residents they still are in the golden years IMO.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back