Caribou Gear

Are WY LE Elk Units worth the wait for nonresidents?

matechakeric

Instead of potentially drawing every 2-4 years in general units (where residents can grab their tags OTC leading to a lot more hunting pressure), is the added value worth waiting an additional 2-4 years to draw a quality limited entry unit?

Or would you be better off spending your points on general tags and hunting more often?

Last edited:
I've only hunted one LE and one general. I won't be saving up for a LE in the future. Of course the LE I hunted wasn't one of the top units so that may have some bearing. The LE was better than the general, but not enough to justify waiting. Plus what took 6 points and a special tag a couple of years ago will probably take 10+ in the future. I'm planning on hunting general from here on out.

One thing for sure, it depends on what other hunts you are doing while you build Wyoming elk points. If Wyoming general is your only game it's a lot different than if you've got other quality opportunities while you wait on a Wyoming tag.

QQ

One thing for sure, it depends on what other hunts you are doing while you build Wyoming elk points. If Wyoming general is your only game it's a lot different than if you've got other quality opportunities while you wait on a Wyoming tag.

QQ
yea WY is not our only game. We will be hunting in other states as well.

I’m sitting on 10 Wyoming elk points with no great idea of how or when I want to spend them. I have other hunts/points in front of them in my priorities. I’m hoping I think they were worth it whenever I use them

Most people feel this way on the general so I see the points needed to jump quite a bit in the general for non residents. Some of the LQ tags might go down a bit. But I’m 0-9 when it comes to elk hunting so I probably wouldn’t listen to me. Sadly hunting Wyoming big game every year for a NR is almost a thing of the past I feel.

I was 1 less than max, drew the best area I could with those points, called in 3 bulls the first afternoon, saw 1 hunter in the woods, and killed bull #18 200 yards off a main road that hadn't been driven on by another vehicle in two days. I could have killed the same size bull in a gen area for sure but I'm not sure I could have had the same experience.

Depending where you are in the points line, your choices of drawable lq hunt areas diminishes rapidly. To really see where you are, you need to see those ahead of you that are only buying points, as pointed out by randy. I looked at just the 14 point pool from 2020 and there were roughly 900 in that pool only buying points; they don't show up in the draw odds. Unfortunately, WY doesn't publish that info so most never have an idea.

Instead of potentially drawing every 2-4 years in general units (where residents can grab their tags OTC leading to a lot more hunting pressure), is the added value worth waiting an additional 2-4 years to draw a quality limited entry unit?

Or would you be better off spending your points on general tags and hunting more often?
The way I see it, is that I rather hunt a just ok general unit than not at all. You never know what tomorrow brings, hunt when you can.

I'd burn them now and hope to get back into a general tag later. You won't catch up to the higher point units.

My one bull tag in WY was a hard to draw LE tag. Great experience. Just wish I'd be able to do it again, ever again, but I won't.

I'd burn them now and hope to get back into a general tag later. You won't catch up to the higher point units.

My one bull tag in WY was a hard to draw LE tag. Great experience. Just wish I'd be able to do it again, ever again, but I won't.
I dream of drawing a LE tag one day but may just need to rely on general tags

I dream of drawing a LE tag one day but may just need to rely on general tags
Depending on which LE unit you are interested in, you may be too far behind to have a realistic chance. When I drew mine we had max points and still had less than 5% odds IIRC. I feel your pain as I'm in the 'tweener point category in too many states. With creep only getting worse, I'm looking to just go.

Depending on which LE unit you are interested in, you may be too far behind to have a realistic chance. When I drew mine we had max points and still had less than 5% odds IIRC. I feel your pain as I'm in the 'tweener point category in too many states. With creep only getting worse, I'm looking to just go.
the best solution is to just move to WY, AZ, UT, or MT and get residency.

the best solution is to just move to WY, AZ, UT, or MT and get residency.
As mtmiller is alluding to, I did that. Lived in UT for 9 years. Now live back in Indiana...

If you're single I'd do so tomorrow. If you're married, you could likely end up replicating my story...

PS- of the states you listed, UT would be at the bottom of the list IMO/E.

As mtmiller is alluding to, I did that. Lived in UT for 9 years. Now live back in Indiana...

If you're single I'd do so tomorrow. If you're married, you could likely end up replicating my story...

PS- of the states you listed, UT would be at the bottom of the list IMO/E.
haha. I agree for someone single and eager to get after it, it's great. I was a WY resident for 4 years and tagged along on 4 elk hunts but never had interest in hunting myself. I wish I could go back and kick my slightly younger self's ass

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back