Caribou Gear Tarp

Are 1000G thinsulate boots too much for this hunt?

savagebowhunter

So my wife and I are going on our first Elk hunt. Second rifle season in CO. We plan to hike and hike and hike! We accidentally ordered her 1000G hunting boots and meant to order uninsulated. The description wasn't clear on Amazon app. Should we send them back for uninsulated? My wife has never even been hunting before so its important to me to get her the best gear so that she enjoys the experience.
UPDATE - THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT! EXCHANGED THEM FOR UNINSULATED.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Send them back her feet will sweat so much they will be soaked by the time you stop hiking. Then she will be chilled the rest of the day

Probably. Feet are very individual, so if she tends to have cold feet they may be ok. I prefer to have uninsulated and layer up if needed.

That's a pretty warm boot, second season can be quite warm depending on where you are...

I prefer uninsulated as well.

I have a pair of Irish Setter Elk Hunters with 1000g insulation. They are over 12 years old and look brand new. I don't use them unless the thermometer reads -20F or colder.

Based on your post detailing the intended usage, send them back. They will most likely be too warm. YMMV however.

1000G would be okay in cold weather for sitting or still hunting but not for hiking. Send them back or you and her will be sorry. That is just my opinion .

What winter boots does she have for your area now?
I am with SA on the 1000's for well below zero,etc..
I get cold feet,but would never wear 1000gr boots. My Kenetrek Pacs are 400gr & so are the Lowas I usually hunt in in winter. No insl in Lowas if above freezing during day.

Yes too much. But whatever you get my best advice for every new hunter is to wear sock liners. I get mine at REI. They are thin Polypro liners that go under your performance sock ( wool or whatever). these wick the moisture away from your feet so you don't get moisture blisters. This keeps your feet cool on hot days and warm on cold days. no different that wearing a polypro shirt.

Remember you have all Male responses here lol while I would wear uninsulated my wife is always cold. now 1000 does seem like a lot but you should know your wife's temperature rating better than men on hunt talk

400 gram is what you need. Unless there is deep snow on the ground.

Her feet getting to hot is not the only problem. The weight of the boot could be to much for her if you are hiking all the time.

I personally will not go over 400g. I have found that 400g is the tops for me for comfort. Any more that that you are going to be changing socks 2-3 times a day. Unless its 0' or below, there really isn't need for them. I have a pair of Under Armour Browtines and they work well. ON SALE AT UNDER ARMOUR FOR $129 TODAY! $200 boots!!!!! I just saw it on an email this morning. Good luck.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back