Arctic Roosters On The Hi Line

Spent a night in the tent in below 0 weather up on the Hi Line a few years back and never care to again. Looks like a great time to me though. Hope pheasant populations are coming back a bit. Family up there tells me it's been a rough decade or so for them.

That’s the only place I ever hunted with a morning temp of -34. I shot a deer and my knife froze to my hand so hard, while gutting it, I had to warm it up in the truck to remove it.

In my experience it depends on the dog in how they handle cold temps. I have hunted down to -24 with no problems, but we warm the dogs up in the cab of the truck between walks. Honestly, they never even looked cold!

Same rules apply, don't dress as warm as you initially think as you will generate lots of heat while walking. You do NOT want to sweat. Face, ears, and those oh-so-important fingers are the problem.

Just be cognizant that a hunting dogs desire to hunt may exceed their discomfort. Short haired breeds, in particular, are really susceptible to frost bite and hypothermia - either can come on quickly without the dog showing discomfort or pain until its a serious issue. I have sat my little pup out the past few days with wind chills in the single digits and negatives (seriously, what kind of idiot gets a viszla in MT?).

Nice hunting, shrapnel. Pheasants are one of a couple birds I like blasting. Good times.

I've hunted NE Montana for pheasants for a good long time. Many years that includes a late season jaunt. It is cold enough in my part of the state presently that I have not even day dreamed about a trip up there, perhaps if there is a break in the weather.

Sorry to go off topic, but what type of shotgun is that? I don't recall ever seeing one like it. Great picture by the way.
It is a 1890’s Burgess wrist slide action. They are rare and quite unique I usually shoot 2 inch shells in it, I can get 7 in the magazine. It is a takedown and actually quite simple. I have killed a ton of birds with it this fall…

C0C6030C-D2D2-48F7-897C-249ED44A43D5.jpeg78E50518-5E8F-44FD-894A-BAAEA383CA0F.jpeg0DDB5442-0875-48A0-8F93-0D76D08809BD.jpegCD2D6B62-91BC-4C05-AE99-5CA60006BAF9.jpeg17E635D0-E7F2-4B61-8EB9-2BBEF912396A.jpeg

Thanks
It is a 1890’s Burgess wrist slide action. They are rare and quite unique I usually shoot 2 inch shells in it, I can get 7 in the magazine. It is a takedown and actually quite simple. I have killed a ton of birds with it this fall…

View attachment 250467View attachment 250468View attachment 250469View attachment 250470View attachment 250471
Thanks for the information! I am looking forward to researching it. When I looked at the original picture, I couldn't figure out how the action worked. You have quite an interesting collection and I think it's great you get them out in the field.

Back