Yeti GOBOX Collection

Arctic Roosters On The Hi Line

I’m assuming Bowdoin is frozen over ?
Bowdoin is almost dry. You can't see water on the horizon from the boat launch at north end. Last two years they really drew it down. Also grazing the place bald. It's a mess.

I'm getting birds but it is a lot of work on public land. I've been up on the Hi Line hunting birds and deer since October (I come every year). Only two days hunting deer before that was done and off to the butcher. Last year just three hours to shoot a buck.

Hun numbers are way up this year. I've never seen so many. Sharpies are down slightly from last two years but those numbers were unbelievable. I'd see flocks of more than a hundred. Pheasants are about average ... poor. I have still managed to shoot quite a few. My dog is fantastic and I don't miss many shots. And I have the right equipment for this kind of hunting ... strong legs. Takes a LOT of walking in nasty stuff. My trigger finger has been frost bit three times. That's the problem. I simply cannot shoot birds with a glove on. Can't feel the safety or the trigger.

I just refilled a small propane tank today. Only the third time. I suspect the one in use now is getting low. No water in the campground or in my trailer so I don't need to keep it heated when I'm gone. Only 19' camper and I can shut off the bathroom so it heats up fast. Furnace works great ... as long as I park the Jimmy on that side of the trailer. Otherwise any slight breeze blows out the pilot. Truck stop is only a couple blocks away with a restroom that's grungy but as long as it has a toilet seat I'm good to go. I have friends that let me use their shower when I need it. Campground has no showers or toilet but great laundry machines. Go figure. Roughing it. Installed a new tailpipe today in the snow. Now that is rough.

It has been cold up here for sure. I heard it's supposed to drop back down to twelve degrees tomorrow. Wind has picked up tonight. Bird hunting will be tough tomorrow.

Tent campers have given up, especially the big top variety. Can't keep them warm. Fifty mph winds blow them to pieces. The cold weather has also put quite a dent in SxS road hunters. Two guys from PA at the bar Sunday night were headed home with their toys the day after they got here. Empty coolers. I've only seen a handful of upland hunters since arriving first Monday of big game season.

This is the kind of weather I remember as a kid. Deer hunting the East Side after the first week of November was always a crap shoot. Cold and snow or chinook winds and gumbo mud.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back