Archery Hunting: middle of the day

dmarsh2

Now a week though archery elk season here in CO, I was curious what everyone does through the early afternoon hours of the hunt? Are you sitting near a water source? Taking a nap? Slow-hunting the timber? Reading a book?

It’s been hot here, so I’ve been trying to get close to my planned hunting location for the evening, sit in the shade and refuel - I’ll filter more water and have a decent lunch. I’m just curious if anyone has any midday strategies that they enjoy.

All depends on the wind and how much it’s swirling but if I haven’t found elk in the am I take my bugle for a walk and try and find some for the pm

All depends on the wind and how much it’s swirling but if I haven’t found elk in the am I take my bugle for a walk and try and find some for the pm
In CO??? Everyone I’ve talked to said they don’t hear bugling till the end of the month, and that only includes the first and last hour of the day.

I've shot a bull at 11:00 and 12:00 sitting near a trail in timber. I was getting ready to take a nap for the one at noon, got my head propped up on my pack so I could see the trail, and here he comes! It's been a while since this has worked for me but I still do it because it's better than sitting in camp.

Depends on weather, energy, terrain, etc. Sometimes I'll sit water, head to camp and hangout, nap, find a good glassing point, or just wander aimlessly hoping to find some animals doing the same...

Still hunt just over the down wind side of a ridge perpendicular to the prevailing wind. Take baby steps, keep eyes looking ahead and to crest of ridge, but most of all concentrate on the surrounding scents. I have taken lots of game using my nose to locate game. Catch them bedded and looking away from you.

It all depends on how the elk are acting for me. I'm always prepared to stay in the field, but if it's hot and the elk aren't real vocally active it's lunch and nap time.

i dunno, i'm new to archery hunting, but when i go to wyoming in a couple weeks i plan to be out all day. i see no difference over rifle hunting in that regard. if the elk aren't making noises gotta find em one way or another.

Like many have mentioned, I've done the still hunting approach, but I've also bumped several elk doing so - and I'm not sure if this is due to my own clumsiness making noise (it's difficult with a lot of deadfall where I'm hunting) or swirling wind pushing my scent down to them. I feel like until they're more vocal, sitting tight (over water/wallow) might be the best option for my location.

Ideally, in the shade on a ridge overlooking a wallow or water source in range. In the other direction I can see 3 different draws connecting to the main backbone ridge. I can glass long distance or shoot one coming to water. I'll usually nap off and on and eat my Second Breakfast and afternoon brunch.

I've been hunting muzzle loader here in Colorado the last couple days, so far the bugling has been starting around 10am and stopping by 10:30am. Seems strange, but my experience this year, mid day has had the most action.
9-9-23.JPG
We tried working into this bull before he quit bugling, and 15 minutes later at 10:45, he calmly passed my trail cam 80 yards out of range. Two more bull encounters and about a dozen cows, all between 9am and 2pm.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back