Archery Boots

I remember a day when these were called thongs....yep those were the good old days before people got the idea to floss their cheeks.
flipflops.jpg

As far as what boot for September, I usually go sneakers unless the weather is looking bad...seem to be more stealthy.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Lowa Zephyrs for this year. In the past I've worn Lowas, which are great, albeit a little too heavy duty if I'm not backpacking around.l

I wear Under Armour Speed Freaks, like them, very comfortable and quiet. East to wear some bears feet on them as well since they fit like basketball shoes.

If the Kenetreks fit you well, why not get an uninsulated pair?

Except for hunting in/on stands, I only wear uninsulated boots. For me for any hunt that involves much hiking, I've found them warm enough.

Hilarious! I had this exact problem last year...yes your Kenetreks will be UNGODLY hot! My feet were swimming and I had blisters almost the entire 9 days, which took well over a month to heal. I purchased a pair of Cabela's Denalis by Meindl this winter (uninsulated) and I think they may even be too heavy. I'd recommend getting something like the Denalis for cooler days and then what some folks have already recommended, light low cut hikers by Merell or Keen or a brand you trust. I'm going to bring running shoes with my Denalis. It was 90 degrees at 6500' and I will never forget how miserable my feet were. Oh and it was completely dry, in Montana, in mid-September.

Good Luck!

I remember a day when these were called thongs....yep those were the good old days before people got the idea to floss their cheeks.
View attachment 36272

As far as what boot for September, I usually go sneakers unless the weather is looking bad...seem to be more stealthy.

Ditto on the sneaker thing and sometimes flip flops but oh those dam cactus. Boots are for mountain climbers in the Swiss alps.

Wolverine - Antelope from Cabela's are a great "archery" hunting boot. I bought a pair several years ago and like them very much. I use them backpacking, hiking and hunting.

http://http://www.cabelas.com/product/Wolverine174-834-Antelope-Boots-with-GORE-TEX174-Scent-Lok174/1208037.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DAntelope%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D9%26y%3D10&Ntt=Antelope&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

They are sold exclusively at Cabela's. They are as light as my tennis shoes and water proof. The only thing I would change would be the tread pattern. I personally prefer a more aggressive tread.

I picked up a pair of V-Tec V-lites and have been putting miles on them for about six months. I love them, they are light. That said, I usually hunt until the snow flies in my Teva Dozer sandals.

One time I packed out three bulls in a pair of loafers (five, five, and seven miles back). Don't do that!

If the Kenetreks fit you well, why not get an uninsulated pair?

Except for hunting in/on stands, I only wear uninsulated boots. For me for any hunt that involves much hiking, I've found them warm enough.

I agree with this, if you like them and they fit you well why not stick with?

PS.

You are buying boots now for September? Unless we are talking about sneakers, 2 months really isn't enough break in time for any leather boot.

Agreed, I am a little late this year but figured just between my walking/running I should have 300-350 miles on them in the next 9 weeks. That's not counting wearing them to work, gym, shooting, riding, fishing, church, bed...
If they aren't broken in by then, I think I'll switch brands! My last pair of Kenetreks took less than 2 weeks to feeling real good.

Thanks for the opinions guys. Probably will go with Kenetreks again. Got to get them here next couple days...

All black Nike Pegasus for archery hunting in September for me, nothing beats a comfortabe, quiet pair of tennis shoes. It's been in the 80s and 90s last couple years here

Thanks, now I feel even more lazy. :)

Ha! My only 'big' hunt for the year so I try to get the most out of it. Not as easy to stay/get in shape as it used to be!! But never any problem staying motivated!!

The stiff sole boots with a heavy steel shank will take a little longer to break in - for me at least. I have a pair of La Sportiva Glaciers where the heal doesn't fit great. If I use those in the hills I always make sure I have duct-tape for my heels.

I picked up a pair of Scarpa's 2 years ago and absolutely love them. I've never had any blisters or rub spots in them. They are my current go-to boots. I can't remember the model, but they are bomber.

For me though, these boots are really for long trail days with heavy packs. They really protect my feet. If I'm spot and stalk - then it's off to some boots with lighter soles like my Danner's.

So for the OP - it would depend for me on what type of country you are headed to and the style of hunting. If it's a backpack in and then hunting out of a base camp - I would do a stiffer boot and pack along either tennis shoes or lighter hikers.

If you are just day hunting from the rig, then the lighter hikers or softer soled boots.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back