Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Archery Antelope

smw110136

Archery antelope tags are OTC for residents in NE, so my buddy and I decided on Friday night at 7pm we would buy tags and give it a shot. We figured $35 for tags was a bargain if it meant we could be out all weekend hunting. Drove 5 hours away to Western NE. Both of us grew up in the area, but college and jobs moved us east for the last several years. My buddy killed a small buck with his bow 5 years ago and I had never even attempted hunting them with a bow until Saturday. We were on a nice buck right at sun up and within 45 minutes we had closed the distance. Threw up a decoy and two hot does came to take a look, followed by the big guy. Gave my buddy a perfect broadside shot at 25 yards and as I held the decoy in front of us, I heard the arrow go flying and looked up to see blood pouring out of the buck as he ran off. Didn't make it 100 yards. We probably made 10 more stalks on bucks Saturday and only had one real opportunity at 60 yards but were winded by a doe who took off and pulled the buck with her. Went back to the same area where we killed the bigger buck and about 5 mins after sundown, spotted a small lone buck hanging out about 100 yards from a water hole. There were 3 mule deer does on the water and he didn't want much to do with them. He crossed the top of a hill and we covered the distance with the wind in our faces. I got to the hill expecting the buck to be 50 yards out and walking away. I looked right over the top of him and then realized he was about 30 yards out. I hit him with an arrow about 15 mins after sundown. We couldn't believe our luck. My buddy killed his biggest antelope ever and I got my first with a bow. All in the same day. We were sure glad we decided to go antelope hunting this weekend :D

Attachments

• Archery Antelope.jpg
    Archery Antelope.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 403
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 402
Congrats on your antelope, but don't make it sound so easy - it gives poor hunters like myself additional confidence problems while I'm still looking for goat #1 with any weapon. Seriously though, that looks like a great hunt and the perfect way to spend the weekend.

Double archery antelope day is a great success. Congratulations on popping the cherry.

Nice work. Getting a antelope with your bow is tough anywhere especially in a OTC area is even tougher, not to mention it's the cheapest NR antelope tag in the country. Congrats!

Good job!!

I'll be going after my first antelope with a bow in a couple weeks here in OK. I hope we have the same success.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back