APR Bison - anybody applying?

No, but I'm pretty bummed we had our first trip back to APR cancel due to this damn covid. I look forward to getting out there someday.

Interesting. I'd listened to one of the guys from APR on a MeatEater podcast a couple years ago, wondered what had become of the ordeal. Reading their site, it sounds a little like that harvest opportunity will go away once they have grizz and wolves on the reserve.

Hell yeah! It would be a blast, not so much for the hunt which I think would be a gimme, but the meat and country make it well worth the effort. Kudos to the APR for allowing the public to participate in this and for giving the majority of the opportunity to MT residents/locals. I might not agree with all they are doing but at least they aren't completely anti-hunting and allow a fair amount of public access for hunting.

I’d do it. For what it’s worth the way natives and early settlers “ hunted “ bison was more of a harvest than a hunt. Find a large herd ride in and pick one out. My interest in Bison hunting is mostly about the nostalgia factor of it anyway so I’m fine with it not being as tough as a public land elk hunt.

Ranch hunting a bison sounds about as much fun as high fenced whitetails to me.
I have no interest in high fence hunting, but my guess is these guys range in the course of a given hunting season as much as the average pronghorn - who seem to keep coming back to the same spot each day in the fall. I haven't seen the APR so don't know how much they are "herded" and used to humans. Could be cool or could be fish in a barrel, will be interesting to hear the experiences of the few who draw. Currently my tenuous hopes are placed with the WY supertag (that I will never draw).

I can tell you what the local rancher response to the APR in general is. These signs are everywhere.

View attachment 141192
UPOM is systematically trying to shut down public access to public lands so they're not friends of the publicland hunter. The leader had Mabee Road in Fergus County closed to the public. I believe they have a hand in some corner crossing legislation also

Reading their site, it sounds a little like that harvest opportunity will go away once they have grizz and wolves on the reserve.

I don't know if that's their true intention or not, but the grizz and wolves in YNP aren't cutting enough bison out of the herd. Biologically, wolves and grizz won't kill enough bison to completely replace human harvest.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back