Applying for Arizona

streamer

I would like to start applying for Arizona so I could maybe draw this tag in 10 to 15 years is this possible? I am 38 and would like to do a do it yourself in Arizona before my body does not allow me to do so, does this seem out of reach? What would be a good zone to put in for, would like a chance at a quality bull.

Stan, That's supposed to be classified information. Don't share it..

Seriously though, AZ402 is correct. There are lots of quality hunts in Arizona. Several units with large numbers of tags issued for bull hunts. Unit 6A, 5B would probably be my first two choices for a rifle hunt if I were applying from out of state. Other than that, it's a crapshoot. One thing that is often overlooked are the "limited opportunity" left over tags. If you pick up one of these after the draw is complete, you don't loose your bonus points and you could still get a chance at a reasonable elk. Just a thought.

I would also consider a bow hunt but this is helpful. I'll need to go to AZ DNR site to find out about how to apply. Can you just buy a point each year then try for the tag in a couple of years? When do the left over tags come out, I'm only able to go out west once a year and don't want to double up on hunts.

Took me six years to draw a tag but it was worth it
And, yes, you can just buy "bonus points"----that's what I been doing the last couple of years as I have been spending my hunting acct on Africa.....should have enuff to draw out when I get off my African kick----7.

You must also remember that you have to buy a hunting nonrefundable license ($151.25) in order to enter the draw or to gain points. For some, that money over the time frame you are talking is too much. For me it's worth it for the quality of animals.

Is there alot of hunting pressure in AZ compared to CO or WY? Not worried about the 151 would rather enjoy a good hunt for the money. Just don't feel right giving a outfitter money when I can do it my self. Why do they say it can take 10 years to draw AZ are these different zones, are they worth the wait? My best is a 280 bull on my first bow hunt to CO 7 trips later have not even seen a 300 need to start applying some where else.

The question of hunting pressure is realitive to how you hunt more than the number of hunters in the field or what state you're in.

If you road hunt AZ during a "general" season, you'll be seeing hunting pressure. Stay close to the roads, you'll see hunting pressure. Get a ways off the road, do some pre-season scouting, maybe even get some advice from people on here...you wont be seeing much hunting pressure.

Arizona is not a "gimme" for an easy trophy elk, at least not in the area I hunted. But, the thing about AZ is that there are some great bulls in that state, in a lot of units, and even their "general" hunts are nice, nice hunts. For a hunter willing to put in the time in research, scouting, and then extra effort during the hunt...it could work out real well.

Personally, I wouldnt wait for the best hunts, mainy because if you dont have max points as a NR you're wasting your time. Also, because the quality of the "lesser" hunts is still pretty darn good and you can enjoy more hunts, rather than one in your lifetime.

Your question is really pretty subjective depending on what your goals are and how willing you are to work at the hunt you draw.

Unit 27... unit 1... late bull.... good draw odds... big bulls if you can walk ....can be a tough cold hunt... but worth it I.M.O.

Not affraid to put on some miles, only reason I'm trying to stay away from CO is the last time I drew a rifle tag I walked 3 1/2 miles back in and a first light 2 hunters came in and one went above me and one went and sat below me only 200 yards I was really pissed, guess I really would like to try something new. Sending in for AZ would be a long term draw I would try my luck at other states until I draw this tag. Never know may find a little honey hole some year that will hold good animals.

I started putting for Elk in AZ in 2009 thinking I was in it for the next 10 yrs or so before I actually drew....to my surprise and many others, I drew an elk tag this past season....with one point. So, there is a chance to draw as a portion of the tags go into the "random" draw. It was an AWESOME hunt in a "non-trophy" unit.

You should also be looking at Wy if a 300 class bull would make you happy.

Plan to put in for WY and NM this year but have no pp for Wy so probably won't draw this year, NM is luck of the draw.

Streamer...here's a pic of my bull.

with one point i drew a non-trophy unit and this is the one i got on my 4th day of the hunt...spot and stalkbowsite pic.JPG

Just starting to look into elk hunts also.
So just to enter the draw or get a PP you need to spend $151.25 for nonrefundable hunting license?
Thats just not possiable for me right now. Bummer

Go to Utah, Nevada, or Montana! All the big bulls have been hunted out! LOL

The draw odds are the same almost every year...Goodluck & you can't win if you don't play!

Stop drinking beer for 10 months or 10 days & you should have enough to apply! JK

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back