Anyone use semi-auto rifles other than AR style for hunting?

G

Guest member 25165

Just curious if anyone uses rifles like the Browning BAR, Remington 7400 series or 750, or the Benelli R1 for hunting? I ordered a Benelli R1 and it should be here in a week or so. I have two other bolt action rifles for big game but I wanted something with a quick second shot for when I walk the woods or marsh. I tried an AR-10 style but it was just so darn heavy. If you do use them, how has reliability and accuracy been?

My dad used my grandpas M1 garand on a doe antelope hunt. Just like you saying with the AR10, it was just too heavy to be worthwhile. Killed a doe antelope and has sat in the safe ever since.

All of the listed will be just as heavy or possibly heavier than an AR10

That's not really true. BAR stalkers come in under 7lbs. The Benelli is 7.2 with open sights. I don't know of one AR-10 that comes in under that weight.

The first deer rifle that was "mine" was a Remington 742, before that it was borrowing a model 94 30-30 or Savage 99 in 284 from my dad. If my Remington wasn't kept very clean it was more of a single-shot, with an occasional second-shot opportunity. I wish I had that 284 today!

I have my late big brother's 30 naught 7400 with the original Weaver 6x. Cycles fine and prints around an inch but I don't hunt it. It'll go to my son who has the 7600 30-06 I used when Jimbo and I hunted together.

You can build an AR10 for that weight too so the argument of weight is a non-issue.

Maybe...but you will be most likely getting a carbine length barrel of 16" or you will be spending top dollar on premium parts. Either the barrel will be shorter or the build will be more expensive...you are talking apples and oranges in my opinion. I know DPMS made a lightweight GII hunter but they are now out of business along with Bushmaster.

Yep, my first rifle was a Rem 7400 .308. Still driving tacks after 30 years and it's nowhere near the weight of most ar styles I have shot. Can't go wrong with one in my opinion.

Interested to see your report. The R1 handles really well, but I've been leary of mixed reviews.

I have a Sig 716. Impressive piece of machinery. Shoots like a dream. Never malfunctions. Hell on critters. Heavy as sin

I’ve shot deer and hogs with my dad’s Remington 742 in 30.06. I also have a Universal M1 Carbine that I used on a javelina. The carbine is a lot lighter than the 742.

Inherited a Remington 742 in '06. Working on cleaning it up now, looking forward to keeping it around as a back-up gun, in the truck, loaner gun, etc. Hope it shoots at least semi-decent.

The first rifle I used for big game hunting was my dad’s Remington 742 carbine in 30-06. I hated that gun. It balanced poorly for me and the magazine always rattled.

At around the same time, I used to drool over my neighbor’s Browning BAR in 338 WM. I just knew that it had to be the ultimate elk rifle.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back