Anyone use a poncho for rain gear?

VAspeedgoat

We recently finished up our deer season and had a drizzly day for the final day. My son had a camo poncho he got because he wanted a "cloak" like a Jedi to hunt with. He used it to mess around and get some pigeons and even used it while groundhog hunting. It is coated rip stop nylon and not a typical PVC poncho.

So it got me thinking. It folds up small and flat and is perfectly functional for a normal rainy day hunt for me. It doesn't quite cover my arms and is a little short to cover my legs but still would be adequate. Especially just to have in a pack for an emergency.

Curious if any others do this?
Any recommendations?

I used one a few times turkey hunting in N.C. I don't think I would use one for any sort of hunting where lots of movement is involved though.

I use one quite a bit. My poncho goes over my pack and covers my rifle while I carry it in my hands. Not super quiet, but when it's raining the sound is covered up by the sound of the weather. You can use it as a makeshift shelter too, although I never have.

I recently switched to a poncho. I bought a Snugpak poncho from Midwayusa. It’s a better setup than a rain coat for me. I’ll never be without one.

I use one of those cheapo plastic ponchos to get me back to the truck because I really hate hunting in the rain or while it's snowing.

I always carry one in my truck. It takes up almost no space and I use it a lot on relatively short hikes or riding the quad. It makes a great wind break as well as a decent rain coat. I would not depend on one in really bad weather. Mine is coated nylon, same as most of the military ones. $30 +-.

I like the snugpak poncho. Has its own stuff sack and sleeves. I wouldn't want to hunt blacktails in the Pacific rain forests but it would sure work to throw in a pack. Thanks

Used a milsurp one for many years until it got to stinking so bad from the rubber breaking down that it got retired. It worked well to keep wind off and mosquito swarms somewhat at bay.

I keep one in the bottom of my pack,just in case. Have holed up many times under it waiting out a storm. Rip stop surplus. Not the best thing for hunting ...but I have.

I tried using a plastic bag,but it really sucks when you forget to cut a head and arm holes! 〽💥

I think the post wllm made was meaning for bows, considering it was from bowhunter-ed. And I can see why that would be an issue. Not for a rifle though.

Exactly, although to be fair there is some questionable stuff in the class, I think they were really stretched to get 1hr of online content, ie apparently elk hunters only use bugles not cow calls (implied not stated), and that the only acceptable stand is a climber. Homemade stands, screw in pegs, fixed stands, etc should not be used.

Honestly, I’m always blown away that these classes basically skip field care but spend like 1/2 the time of shit like ponchos and stands. No wonder we get so many first time hunters that don’t even know how to hold a knife.

(Took the class to potentially do a haul road hunt)
Sorry for the digression Op

That, and likely the class is focussed on Eastern hunters who have a different sensibility than Western guys. Once heard it stated that Eastern hunters worry about two things, caliber and camo. Not that far off in general.

Showing my ignorance, what's a haul road hunt?

That, and likely the class is focussed on Eastern hunters who have a different sensibility than Western guys. Once heard it stated that Eastern hunters worry about two things, caliber and camo. Not that far off in general.

Showing my ignorance, what's a haul road hunt?
Alaska.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back