Yeti GOBOX Collection

Anyone every head of this

Kyboy88

Talked to a guy one time that told me about how he had a pair of dogs that he would take predator calling with him. But they were not decoy dogs they were trained to lay next to his side one watching to the front and the other behind and act as early waning system for anything coming. They were also catch dogs for any bad shots or missed shots. Just wanted to see if anyone has done this or seen it the one that told me did not really get into how he done it ande I Wonder if he was pulling my leg

If used long enough and trained to commands dogs will do most anything. We didn't use our dogs as decoy because we usually had 3-4 dogs with us at all times.
Hard to keep track of dogs (more than one) while calling and not accidentally shoot one.
He had to have some fast dogs to catch even wounded coyotes.

I had a GSP "Buck" who would sit in the duck blind with us. When we saw him staring off at the distant sky we knew ducks were coming. He would hear their wings long before we could see them.
I'm sure they could hear or smell coyotes long before the old two leg with a gun had a clue.

If used long enough and trained to commands dogs will do most anything. We didn't use our dogs as decoy because we usually had 3-4 dogs with us at all times.
Hard to keep track of dogs (more than one) while calling and not accidentally shoot one.
He had to have some fast dogs to catch even wounded coyotes.
Well his were imported line gwp that were said to be breed for birds and fur both. Which he also said his oldest kid did it with a pair of German shepherds x with greyhound. I could almost believed a x like that doing it also did you run your dog's on coyote since you had 3-4 or were they for other things

Last edited:
I had a GSP "Buck" who would sit in the duck blind with us. When we saw him staring off at the distant sky we knew ducks were coming. He would hear their wings long before we could see them.
I'm sure they could hear or smell coyotes long before the old two leg with a gun had a clue.
Well his were gwp that were imported line from eastern Europe were they were breed for birds and fur both my only ? Was how did he keep them from going crazy did yours every get out of hand like he wanted to go after the ducks

My first lab could tell a dove from a robin flying past at over 40 yards. He set up a lot of shots for me.

Back when you could get $150 for an unskinned coyote, early '80s.
People had chase dogs In spring boxes on their flat bead trucks.
In the winter they would drive up and down wheat stubble and jump coyotes.
Hit the switch and the dogs would jump down and take after the coyotes, run them down and kill them.
The dogs were things like Doberman gray hound cross. Or German Shepard and wolfhound.
4 to 6 dogs could take down a coyote in very sort order, a matter of just a few hundred yards most the time.

Hit the switch and the dogs would jump down and take after the coyotes, run them down and kill them.
The dogs were things like Doberman gray hound cross. Or German Shepard and wolfhound.
4 to 6 dogs could take down a coyote in very sort order, a matter of just a few hundred yards most the time.
Yeah I have heard about running sight hounds like that but over here the cover is to thick for that but I have to say a Doberman or gsd x with a greyhound would be interest in set up like I heard about or as a catch dog in a hound pack .

You don't happen to know anyone still breeding any x like that do you ?

KYboy, never let the hounds run coyotes. They were used for tracking coyotes on drags that got far out that we couldn't trail. They were also used for hunting cougar or bobcats and bear. They were good all around dogs that just went everywhere with us.
The Kemmer Stock Man Curs were a royal pain. They were hard headed and we chased them more than they chased anything. I miss them (all passed away) but sure don't miss the wrecks they caused.

Drahthaar- german bred GWP.....are versatile dogs.....Point great, retrieve on land and water great, and a bit fierce on furred game....they injected a breed in that drahtharr making that I dont know what it is in english, but think it may be a wolfhound of sorts..they can be a bit aggressive and dont back down. My friend added one to his lion pack and had to remove her shortly-there-after because she didnt know how to back-off when necessary- she was gonna get killed.
Formal german tests require everything, including day-old blood tracking up to a quarter mile.

I trained mine to track rabbits on dry ground........never lost a wounded rabbit yet......one travelled 200 yds....up the canyon, back down the canyon....she stayed nose down until she found it, then caught it....amazing to see since I had a birds eye view of the rabbits path and she was on it the whole way like white on rice

I used to have an outstanding spot only about 20 miles from my door where I had free reign to call/hunt coyotes, and there were a lot of them. My dog was not specifically trained to hunt coyotes but I took him with me and sort of used him for a decoy. I would get set up to call in a spot and I would typically glass and just look around before I started calling for about 10 minutes. I would then start my series of calls (I only used mouth blown cals and a squeaker.) and would let my Norwegian Elkhound run around and investigate things. He would wander out sometimes 75 yards or so but usually stayed fairly close. On numerous occasions I got shots at coyotes I might not have if he was not with me. The coyotes would concentrate on him and it usually got their attention and they wanted to come and check things out. Even if they spotted me somehow it kept them from running long enough I could get a good shot. I just enjoyed having my dog with me too so it was a win win.

My dad is currently in the process of picking up a new pup, yellow lab. This breeder/trainer sounds incredible. I got to visit with him a bit while dad was checking out his new addition. He told me he was training labs for a long time for the government for IED Roadside bomb detection. Told me the process, commands, actions you name it. Absolutely one of the most fascinating things I've ever heard in relation to dog training.

I can't even get my four legged Crack baby to sit or lay down or mark a damn bird, let alone mark bombs..... point is some have a gift to the art of training whether it be people, or animals. You can teach a dog anything as long as you and the dog can both get on the same page. I'd love to see the video of the guy hunting like that.

Drahthaar- german bred GWP.....are versatile dogs.....Point great, retrieve on land and water great, and a bit fierce on furred game....they injected a breed in that drahtharr making that I dont know what it is in english, but think it may be a wolfhound of sorts..they can be a bit aggressive and dont back down. My friend added one to his lion pack and had to remove her shortly-there-after because she didnt know how to back-off when necessary- she was gonna get killed.
Formal german tests require everything, including day-old blood tracking up to a quarter mile.

I trained mine to track rabbits on dry ground........never lost a wounded rabbit yet......one travelled 200 yds....up the canyon, back down the canyon....she stayed nose down until she found it, then caught it....amazing to see since I had a birds eye view of the rabbits path and she was on it the whole way like white on rice
I'd be the fur side of of Drathaar came from the Stichelhaars used in developing the breed.

How did that work

Sitting next to me, I could see him focus on a bird in the distance. When the bird was a dove, he'd tense his legs and get ready to retrieve. Robins required no tensing or more than a quick glance.

No shortage of those guys still out there.

Mostly in plains states.

Although I did see one outfit in the bighorns above Tensleep a couple years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back