Anyone ever use a table saw to cut arrows?

JFish

I have some carbon arrows coming that I need to cut. I usually use my demel tool and just use some scraps to make a quick jig. They don’t come out super square and I spend a good bit of time on the squaring tool.

I was planning on making a dedicated jig, but I realized that I already have a perfectly square crosscut sled that I use on my table saw. The idea popped in my head that If I put a cut off blade on the arbor I could just use my sled to cut the arrows very quickly and not need to put together anything.

Anyone ever try this?

I have some carbon arrows coming that I need to cut. I usually use my demel tool and just use some scraps to make a quick jig. They don’t come out super square and I spend a good bit of time on the squaring tool.

I was planning on making a dedicated jig, but I realized that I already have a perfectly square crosscut sled that I use on my table saw. The idea popped in my head that If I put a cut off blade on the arbor I could just use my sled to cut the arrows very quickly and not need to put together anything.

Anyone ever try this?
Table saw doesn't spin fast enough, are you talking about an abrasive cutoff blade?

I've cut a lot of things on a table saw. Not sure it's the best tool for arrows. A Chop saw might be better suited. mtmuley

I just bought an arrow saw a few years ago. Totally worth it, fast square cuts, no worries. Arrows and hunts are getting expensive, can’t afford to screw up or have wonky arrows.
I did the same thing. While I don't use it all that often it's ready when I do need it. It makes short work of a dozen arrows and every cut is square and the exact same length once you set the stop.

I just bought an arrow saw a few years ago. Totally worth it, fast square cuts, no worries. Arrows and hunts are getting expensive, can’t afford to screw up or have wonky arrows.
I've looked at them and they are $150-$500 depending on the features, quality,etc. The shop I order arrow shafts from charges 1$ per cut. Did you buy one for convenience or do you go through that many arrows that the cost was justified?

Well after some more research I found a photo of a guy with half a cut off wheel sticking out of his face. I think I’ll forgo that route.

I’m going to build a jig to hold my dremel tool in the miter slot of the table saw. If I square the dremel blade to the miter slot then I can still use my crosscut sled to push the shafts through the dremel.

I am still curious what an 80 tooth finish blade will do so I’m going to make a few cuts on an old shaft just for research. I’m not going to actually shoot those shafts though.

IMG_7022.jpeg
I’m not proud of this duct tape jig, but it did work. Most of the cuts were reasonably square but still required a couple minutes on the squaring tool. I think a proper jig is in order for the next batch of arrows. Or pay the $.25 per arrow to have them cut.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back