Anyone else getting excited for hard water?

dannyb278

I grew up fishing, but always saw it as something to do "once in awhile" on a hut summer day and never took it as seriously as hunting. That all changed with the arrival of my oldest son, Jack. By the age of 4 he had graduated from all things Dinosaur (as many boys do) and became obsessively focused on fish, through paying close attention to shows like Chasing Monsters and the episodes of MeatEater centered around fishing.

He is 6 now and the kid can rattle of game fish facts with the best of them, debate the value of live bait vs imitation tackle and leaches vs minnows and has plans to open a bait shop as a means to make a living.

Hearing a 6 year old yell out "This ones really making me work for it" while pulling up a sunfish really brings some smiles and comments from the old guys on the fishing dock.

So this kind of turned into a dad bragging about his son, which wasn't my original intent, but his excitement for fishing, gets me excited for fishing.

Anybody got advice on catching northern pike through the ice? That's the one fish he wants to catch the most, but eluded us this summer.

jackhuntoeat.jpgjackice.JPG

We've got about 10 inches of solid ice already in Northern MN! For pike, use live bait (sucker minnows) if you can get it where you're at. Otherwise frozen smelt work good. I've even caught and seen many caught using a hotdog on a tip-up! I usually use tip ups for pike!

We've got about 10 inches of solid ice already in Northern MN! For pike, use live bait (sucker minnows) if you can get it where you're at. Otherwise frozen smelt work good. I've even caught and seen many caught using a hotdog on a tip-up! I usually use tip ups for pike!

Nice! I'm in southern Minnesota, near Mankato. We picked up some tip ups last year but never really get them out to much. I can get suckers, but may have to try that hot dog trick!

Will be getting all the ice fishing gear out of storage this weekend and making sure everything is set up and ready to go.

Southern Minnesota. We should have enough ice to walk on within the next week or so.

Lots of options, Tip ups seems to be a great way to get a northern. Bait wise, I like running minnows on a crappie rig, but not sure if that's legal in MN or not.

Location, seems like often northerns like to cruise in shallower water for ice season during the day light. A lot of times when we'd be going after walleye we would set up off shore 100 yards or so and then do a line of tip ups back toward shore that would pick up northerns. But sometimes it just seems like random luck with them.

I'm going to give it a try this year. I've done it in the past but with other peoples' gear and guidance. Built an ice rod but still have to acquire an auger.

I'm going to give it a try this year. I've done it in the past but with other peoples' gear and guidance. Built an ice rod but still have to acquire an auger.

Last year was my first year really getting after it. Outside of the rods, one of my best purchases was a Garmin Striker 4 with transducer kit. very affordable and works great as a fish finder both on the ice and on my canoe/kayak.

Nice! I'm in southern Minnesota, near Mankato. We picked up some tip ups last year but never really get them out to much. I can get suckers, but may have to try that hot dog trick!

Will be getting all the ice fishing gear out of storage this weekend and making sure everything is set up and ready to go.
Search along weed lines for pike. I usually setup right on the outside edge of the weed line where they thin out/stop all together! I've always had best luck with medium/large suckers. Tie your tip-up line out and tie on a wire leader then snap a treble hook on it and hook the sucker through the back and it works great!

Congrats on raising a good kid and getting him involved as much as he wants to be in the outdoors!

For Pike I like Blue Creek chubs the best if you can get them. I use fluorocarbon leaders (20#-50# depending on size of fish targeted) instead of steel with large snaps, etc., just tie on a 3' piece with a double Uni knot to your main braided line. Tie on whatever hook is legal in your area. I like a treble hook of good size but not too heavy that it limits the chubs ability to swim. If you get a chub that just swims too wildly and the pike don't want to chase it that much, take a scissors and trim his tail off. Makes an easier lunch. Another trick is to take a treble hook and 2 large minnows, as big as you can get. Hook one minnow through the back facing one direction, and put the other minnow on another barb of the treble hook facing the opposite direction. Make sure they are both alive and kicking well and they will swim and fight each other and make a lot of flash. It's deadly! You can also do this with single hooks, just put two minnows on , hooked under the dorsal fin, facing opposite directions, works great under a bobber or tipup for walleyes also.

We have been out the last few days catching big bluegills :) 4-6" of ice

I use to use tipups but recently started using jawjackers for my kid's poles. Are they legal in MN?

I know it's a little of subject, but can anyone suggest a beginner's guide to fishing on ice??

I cant recommend a specific source, but like all things hunting and fishing, dont get lost in all the equipment. Keep it simple. Maybe a couple medium weight poles, a auger (good deals can be found on FB marketplace for older gas and propane powered augers), some slip bobbers and jigs. The best piece of equipment i picked up last year was a Garmin Stryker 4 with transducer. Very affordable fish finder that i use both on the ice and on my kayak.

Read up or watch videos on setting up a slip bobber for ice fishing if you arent familiar.

Shoot me a pm White Buff if you have some questions. I have never ice fished in WY but fish are fish and ice is ice :) You can drop a PILE of cash into ice fishing if you aren't careful. Like anything you can upgrade gear every year but the basics will still get the job done. I'd be willing to share what not to waste $ on and what to invest $ in. We ice fish a LOT so I'd be glad to help if needed. Best wishes.

I know it's a little of subject, but can anyone suggest a beginner's guide to fishing on ice??
You should first spend some time learning about ice safety. Lots of you tube videos and online articles. Ice thickness can vary considerably between areas of a lake. Creek mouths and pressure ridges should be avoided. Don’t assume because other folks are on the ice that it is safe everywhere.
I agree with dannyb that you can keep it simple and catch fish. Open water rods work fine with a slip bobber and a bait hook.

The best thing about ice fishing, is how little you really need. A hand augers does well, and only $50-60, rod and reel can be had for $30, an ice scoop is $5. Add in some jig heads, and you're fishing for at or under $100.

Well it looked like our ice season was going to be fantastic..............then the snow came, insulating the ice and causing slush. We have had some -20 degree nights that are firming it up, so it should be good by this weekend. Love ice fishing.

For pike, I would use tip-ups rigged with shiners. I have best luck setting just below the ice, but sometimes off the bottom is better. Where I live in Burnett County there are tons of lakes loaded with pike, very easy to catch. I would imagine it is the same over the boarder in Pine County, Mn.

For the beginner ice fisherman, I have most action in shallow, weedy lakes/bays. Not much depth will aid in finding fish faster vs. deeper lakes where a flasher (fish locator) is very helpful.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back