Anyone else getting excited for hard water?

I've been on Georgetown a few times already. 10" of ice and great clarity to the bottom. Got some big fish, smoked them, and promptly ate them. Looking for a good perch hole if someone wanted to share some ice.

Finally out for the first time today. 5” of ice and hopefully the pike will be in the mood to bite this afternoon.

Attachments

• 8C1ED120-085E-402D-944B-5825784C2881.jpeg
    8C1ED120-085E-402D-944B-5825784C2881.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
In north central MN, the lakes are slushed up with 2-8" of ice, it'll be awhile until the sleeper house can make it out...

Nope....not excited. I dumped a pickup in not hard enough water when I was a dumb kid. Haven't been back on the ice since.

Nope....not excited. I dumped a pickup in not hard enough water when I was a dumb kid. Haven't been back on the ice since.

I can see how that might sour your taste for ice fishing.

Definitely. When the cattails freeze Gus and I can get after some of those birds that have been safely out o reach until now.

Knocked the dust off the auger finally. Caught a mess of 15" bows up near Granby. -10 when I got there, had the place to myself for the first hour, saw a ton of elk. Great morning on the hard water

was out today and caught 2 rainbows, 1 perch, 3 walleyes and 6 saugers but only kept 1 of them just to small and our limit is 2 on them. 13 inches of good solid ice.

I can’t help with the ice fishing, but good on you for being such a good dad!

I was that kid growing up... I was obsessed with fishing. My dad always supported it. Good times with your son.

Knocked the dust off the auger finally. Caught a mess of 15" bows up near Granby. -10 when I got there, had the place to myself for the first hour, saw a ton of elk. Great morning on the hard water

This summer my son bought a old hand auger at a garage sale. He was super proud of his find and excited for it to be put in use....Not sure how many more inches of ice i want to try to cut through with that thing though! Would have gladly put in the extra cash for a old gas auger....

This summer my son bought a old hand auger at a garage sale. He was super proud of his find and excited for it to be put in use....Not sure how many more inches of ice i want to try to cut through with that thing though! Would have gladly put in the extra cash for a old gas auger....
replace the blades and that will cut like a brand new auger.

I like to dark house spear fish Northerns through the ice more than rod and reel fishing. Ice is still sketchy around here with the flooding we had this fall. Might venture out at the end of the week and check ice thickness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the blades sharpened, or replaced and that sucker will go through as much ice as you want. I've drilled to the handle before which is over 20 inches without it being very tiring. I actually prefer a hand auger to having to deal with gas.

Get some new blades and an adapter to use a cordless drill and you'll be in business

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back