Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Anybody shoot barnes?

257 Wby Mag

Recovered these outta a whitetail bucks, 85 grainers via 240 Roy, bout a hundred yards. Just wondering....
101_0969X.jpg

101_0968X.jpg

I shot them a little bit. I like other bullets better though. I've found Barnes to be very accurate, and they penetrate well, but critters seem to run futher when hit by them.

I love the barnes - thin skinned game don't allow for much expansion...but on elk it is a killer

Recovered by Barnes out of my whitetail this month and it looked like the bullet on the bottom of your tin. My buck travelled all of two feet...straight down. Ive only used them the last two season on coues and they have performed very well so far.

Yep, tipped triples and untipped triples. both accurate...they flat out work for me. Use accubonds also but seem to be carrying the barnes rifles when game avails.

I have used them exclusively for about 10 years now, and for as long as I can get them I see no reason to swtich. I shoot them out of my .243, my 338-06, and my wife's 30-06. I have never recovered a .243 slug from deer or elk. I have recovered a fair number of the .338s, simply because they are so BIG when they are mushroomed out. The 30-06 load is pretty mild and I've recovered a few of those too. Every one looks just like the ones you have pictured.

I like them because I don't get as much bloodshot meat as I have in the past with Partitions or Interloks. I've never noticed an animal to go any farther after being shot with a Barnes than any other bullet. They usually take about two steps and fall over.

I loaded some 225 grain TTSXs for a friend in a .338 RUM. Had some fouling issues so switched. So far I haven't been a mono-metal guy, although I did wack a bull about 3 years ago with an E-Tip. mtmuley

I switched over to the triple shock a few years back, the work real well in my .257 Roberts and even better in my .257 Weatherby. I haven't recovered a bullet since switching as they blow right through whitetails, but expansion seems to be good based on the exit wounds.

I shoot them out of my .280 with perfect results so far. Accuracy is top notch.

I use them in my .223WSSM. Coyotes are DRT with very little damage to the pelt.

Where I hunt you might have wolves or lions show up, and they are also deadly on those animals.

Running them in everything shortly.

Been using tsx's since 2004 and now also ttsx's and lrx's with outstanding results. I have taken elk, bear, mule deer, white tail, pronghorn all with the same perfect mushroom expansion results and high weight retention. I'm not looking back.

Any body use them in a Ruger Hawkeye? Picked up a 300 win mag and it seems to like the 200 grain speeds right now but want to test some of the Barnes or nosler e-tips.

I shot a couple elk and three Oryx with them when I lived in NM. They were super in one rifle and jacked up in the other. I went to Hornady Interlocks and Partitions and have never looked back. I don't think they are all that well-suited for low velocity rounds, as the velocity is needed for ideal expansion. They do allow for shooting a lighter bullet than with the standard bullets, though.

I shoot the TSX in my -06, and they are great. I've taken ~dozen whitetail with them and none have gone over 50yds and most fall fast. The last two nice bucks I shot didn't get more than 3 steps.

I shot a goat on a frontal with the TSX, and thats the only bullet I've recovered from the -06, it was stuck in the hide at the rear end, so to speak...

I have my wife shooting Hornady 150gr GMX in her .308, also a good bullet. The one I found while fleshing the hide mushroomed nicely - more so than my goat.

I have shot a lot of game with the Barnes, started using them in the .7mm mag the old blue coated barnes and have used them in a lot of situations. Especially on larger framed, thicker skinned deer and bovine where you might get bad angles or lots of penetration needed to get to where you want the bullet to end up.
The only negative aspect of them is at longer ranges and with bullet speeds slowing down they can tend to pencil through and not open up if you say double lung or rib shoot a side on animal and it doesn't meet enough resistance to open up the petals. As i prefer putting holes in lungs rather then bones, i will have to tolerate it and i just try to keep the shots closish to the shoulder bone on extended distances.
My .300wsm with 180gr TTSX has shot most of what walks over here in the SP and i can't say an animal has got away through poor bullet performance, if it has it has been placement issues rather then projectile choice.

I decided to go lead free in my rifle this year, the Barnes shot better than the GMX, so I stuck with the Barnes. They proved to be good medicine to take my first elk!

I've had great luck shooting the Barnes 160 grain Federal Preimum TSX out of my 7mm.

So far I have recovered 3 bullets all retaining 99% of their weight and mushrooming perfect.

Antelope, elk and blackbear.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back