Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Anybody fish the Gulf Coast of Florida during mid July?

OleRedbeard

Little bit out of the norm but...
The wife and I will be heading down that way for vacation and I was curious if anybody on here had any suggestions on what to fish for or if its even worthwhile this time of the year. I figured I would take a few rods with me just in case.

I'll be fishing the gulf coast of Florida this weekend. Are you talking about the panhandle area's coast or the peninsular coast down further south? Makes a difference. Also are you going to be using a boat or just surf casting from the beach?

I was there this week, Port Charlotte area, and had a charter lined up. Captain canceled on us due to poor weather. This time of year it is common for storms to roll in during the afternoons. I would definitely bring your fishing gear with you though. You can rent a boat and fish the inner coastal waters and catch fish, or go out into the gulf. I don't how the fishing this time of year compares to other times of the year but we caught plenty of fish two years ago in July fishing the inner coastal waters.

I'll be fishing the gulf coast of Florida this weekend. Are you talking about the panhandle area's coast or the peninsular coast down further south? Makes a difference. Also are you going to be using a boat or just surf casting from the beach?
probably surf casting from the beach. I will be near the Ft Walton area. Figured I would have couple of good days of fishing while the wife and kids are out shopping and such.

I was there this week, Port Charlotte area, and had a charter lined up. Captain canceled on us due to poor weather. This time of year it is common for storms to roll in during the afternoons. I would definitely bring your fishing gear with you though. You can rent a boat and fish the inner coastal waters and catch fish, or go out into the gulf. I don't how the fishing this time of year compares to other times of the year but we caught plenty of fish two years ago in July fishing the inner coastal waters.
I may do that. I know I used to rent a boat here and there when I was stationed at Lejeune when the flounder were running and such. I didnt think about boat rental.

probably surf casting from the beach. I will be near the Ft Walton area. Figured I would have couple of good days of fishing while the wife and kids are out shopping and such.
That's all we do now but we catch fish and have fun doing it. I would think you'll be hoping for trout or flounder right now if you're fishing from the beach. You can always go to an area bait shop and ask what's biting what and where.

That's all we do now but we catch fish and have fun doing it. I would think you'll be hoping for trout or flounder right now if you're fishing from the beach. You can always go to an area bait shop and ask what's biting what and where.
I didnt know if the trout and flounder were still running or not. I guess that seals the deal on me taking something besides my big rod.
Im hoping I can do some snooping around like you were saying and put a few things in the cooler. Its been years since I had any specks on a stringer.

I didnt know if the trout and flounder were still running or not. I guess that seals the deal on me taking something besides my big rod.
Im hoping I can do some snooping around like you were saying and put a few things in the cooler. Its been years since I had any specks on a stringer.
Paging @KayakMacGyver before I get out of my depth here. He will know what's running right now

But yes definitely take that rod.

Might checkout a kayak rental. Shouldn't be to hard to catch some reds and specks right now.View attachment 188439View attachment 188440
Im hoping I can find a few.. if it weren't such a headache taking it over 11 hours away. I would load one of mine up and take it with me.. unfortunately if I did that not only would the wife be suspicious but I would have to explain what exactly I planned on doing with it..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back