Anybody else feeling there age?

I used to be able to crush a burrito with impunity. Yesterday, my buddy and I went shooting in the morning and grabbed some carne asada burritos on the way home. Afterwards, we took our families to the river to swim.

I felt like the SS Flatulent Lardass floating around out in the water watching the teenagers with their eight packs cliff jumping.

I used to be able to crush a burrito with impunity. Yesterday, my buddy and I went shooting in the morning and grabbed some carne asada burritos on the way home. Afterwards, we took our families to the river to swim.

I felt like the SS Flatulent Lardass floating around out in the water watching the teenagers with their eight packs cliff jumping.

i used to think it maybe it was mexican food that could be the problem.

but thankfully no. it's not burritos, or beans, or spice. maybe even worse, it turned out to be lactose.

so i guess i do have an answer to the original question.

I rolled past 71 this May. Everything is still original equipment, no aches or pains in any joints, so far.

Yeah, a guy slows down, but just keep plowing ahead. Everything works a little less well over time. Stamina, is certainly one. I can still hit it a good lick, just not without a rest now and then. That and I can't bounce back as quickly.

The older I get, the more each approaching season means. I know they are numbered. I hope to keep going until 80. But truth be told, without my horses, I would not be hunting in the mountains.

I started lifting weights close to seven years ago. It has been a fountain of youth for me. It will definitely help you maintain the strength needed to be active.

I didn’t have the benefit of many “teachers,” so I learned the hard way in my youth. I paid the price, but hope now I can use my wisdom to make decisions today.

Lesson 1- Find an expert! I needed someone to teach me how to lift weights. It was me and a few of my bros in the basement of Goosetown wrestling iron. I gave it 100% and saw some growth, but my elbows and knees are paying the price today. At my peak my total was just over 1700 pounds; ~800 pound dead lift, +600 pound squat, and my greatest frustration of a 315 bench. I have cubital tunnel syndrome in my elbows and my knees are shot. So, I’m going to find and pay experts to care for this “classic.”

Lesson 2 - Drop the ego HAMM. I drug a 5 point bull off the top of Lost Creek for 2.5 miles through deadfall and boulder fields alone. Why? I was clueless, confident, and didn’t know any other way. It was the opener, but not that hot… my back still nags on me about that day. Was I able to do it? Yes. Could I have done it smarter? Yes. It’s hard to ask others for help when you don’t have much of a support system, but sometimes you have to try. Thanks @JLS for your support in reloading!

Lesson 3 - It’s never too late, and sometimes you don’t even know what it’s not too late for. My first marriage was a shiz show. I refused to give up on it due to my daughter, religion and ego. After my ex-wife’s 3rd long term affair I finally vaporized accepted defeat. Thank God for my friends and family today. I swore I’d never date again, or put my heart and sole on the line willingly. My people pushed me after years of divorce, and God sent Kim into my life. I was fine being single. I never could have dreamt that a marriage could be like this. She is anything I could have ever asked for; capable, kind, respectful, trustworthy and more. So, when I’m sitting in my next blizzard, and preparing to fold shop, I will sit and wait.

What does this have to do with aging? Well, learning… Keep learning and working hard. Maximize what gifts you have and minimize the challenges.

I didn’t have the benefit of many “teachers,” so I learned the hard way in my youth. I paid the price, but hope now I can use my wisdom to make decisions today.

Lesson 1- Find an expert! I needed someone to teach me how to lift weights. It was me and a few of my bros in the basement of Goosetown wrestling iron. I gave it 100% and saw some growth, but my elbows and knees are paying the price today. At my peak my total was just over 1700 pounds; ~800 pound dead lift, +600 pound squat, and my greatest frustration of a 315 bench. I have cubital tunnel syndrome in my elbows and my knees are shot. So, I’m going to find and pay experts to care for this “classic.”

That is crazy strong. I'd like to think that I would have declined any chance to wrestle you.

Presently, I'd speculate that a max squat would be somewhere either side of 350. I use a trap bar to deadlift. I pulled a 400 single a year or so ago. My bench is nothing too special. Generally I do sets of 7 with 195.

Another thing lifting has done is its helped with losing a decent amount of body fat.

I’m just surprised the incorrect *their* hasn’t been pointed out in the thread title…. You all are slipping cognitively too!

*edit to point out i didn’t catch the autocorrect on the word “slipping”. I guess I’m right in there with you all on the cognitive part.

Last edited:
Vintage 1963 model here 100% all original parts and some of them still work properly

After 40 years married I finally figured my wife is in it for the long haul so I asked to to join me at the gym. I'll be 69 in a couple weeks , she's 65. I don't know which one of us complains more when where home alone. She tells me I've got nothing to complain about. I'm always off on some kind of adventure.
11 knee surgery, 4 shoulder surgery, crushed 4,5,6 lower back. Separated ribs both sides, 2 snapped ribs in the back, broken leg, collar bone, big toe , few fingers, elbow.
Only way I see it, Alway forward, Keep on Keeping On.
I'm going to push for another 10 years.
Don't do everything I use to do but still do a lot.

The highlight of my day, at this point in my life, is waking up in the morning ;)

Like Frank said in "My Way". Regrets, Ive had a few, but then again, to few to mention.

I was still hunting in my early 80's, but, alas, no more. And I miss it, but I miss a lot of things-- my husband and I driving through the desert at 100 plus, sailing, playing the piano, dancing, traveling, hell, I even miss dressing up and wearing high heels. But, BUT, there is a silver lining, as I see family members more now, and thats a good thing :love:

My great granddaughter ask me, what I would do over, if I could. And I told her, ALL of it !

Mr Lamb. Glory Days, Bruce ;)
ha, just saw this. we're in agreemnet ;)

Back