Anybody else feeling there age?

My Dad's dad is amazing, he had open heart surgery last year, he called me last week asking what kind of portable welder he should buy for welding broken resivor headgates. He still runs a chainsaw 8 hours a day....he is 78 and I would hate to challenge him to the top of the mountain.

I sure am. I do a 4 day hunt in Southern Ohio that is walk in, drag out, in steep hills.
I wonder how many of those I got in me before I stop enjoying that hunt. I already dont go back in as far as when I was younger.
Bulk of my season is easy hunting in Alabama where I ride my atv to my stand or climber and sit on my butt. If i shoot on then its an easy load up on the atv and back to camp. That I can handle.

I can accept the aches, pains, various surgeries to put things back together. I have abused my body. After all Superman never took a day off! The thing that really bothers me is my memory is going. My comprehension is slowing. I find myself double and triple checking everything.

My dad is 25 years older than me. I remember growing up thinking man he is old! I will be 47 in 11 days. Now I look at my dad and think man he is only 25 years older than me! Yea I feel more aches and pains with each passing year. I find diet and exercise more important to me the older I get, but I will do whatever it takes to keep me hunting.

My lungs were the first to go, i could still run up a mountain at 32, by 36 i was walking and taking multiple breaks, before i got to the top. Next was my hip at 38, was wrestling with the wife, she got her legs between mine and spread them. My left hip popped and i started crying it hurt so bad, it still pops out from time to time, causing me to buckle and wince in pain. The rest of my body felt good till last fall, when i fell out of a tree, now i hurt from ankles to my neck. Most days I'm fine till about 3pm, then the pains start and if I'm on concrete or other similarly hard surfaces for extended periods of time, i feel like my lower back is on fire.

I woke up one morning and started counting; two hip replacements, shoulder surgery, patched up hernia on the left side, a good dose of planter in my left foot for a bit, Lasik and cataract surgery for the eye balls.
That's enough of that, time to throw on the pack and get it going. Forty seven years of hunting....and counting!

I woke up one morning and started counting; two hip replacements, shoulder surgery, patched up hernia on the left side, a good dose of planter in my left foot for a bit, Lasik and cataract surgery for the eye balls.
That's enough of that, time to throw on the pack and get it going. Forty seven years of hunting....and counting!
Yup, had all that except the hips. I'm still all OEM except for some lenses for the cataracts and some netting in the left side (and maybe a few stitches)

At 38 (I think) I can still do most of the things I've always done, but slower, and not as frequently. Sure, I could still out hike most 20-somethings you see out there but I sure as heck can't out hike me at 20-something. I remember doing 48 miles in 25 hrs with a pack. 48 miles is like a 3-4 day backpacking trip now.

My daughter is getting to be pretty quick, i still beat her when we race, but I can see my days are numbered.

Did you all forget that with age comes creativity. How in the world could you let a teenager rough you around.

I have 4 blown out disks, knees click (I dont even wanna know), and a little bit retarded.

16 year old nephew squared up to me and asked me to box. So I headbutted him, hip tossed him, took his back and whispered in his ear "Jiu Jitsu" and put him to sleep.

My brothers, dont play fair with these young thugs.

When you were THERE. It was in black & white.

Got sounded by Stan Sat.
We said our hellos & how ya doings and I told him I was fine ,but I was dealing with sciatica.
He got mad and said "I don't want to hear it","I'm 10 years older than you."...I got mad and said you asked old man...I wasn't complaining, just answering.

When I was a kid I wrestled tournaments every weekend all over the area. My dad would complain about hotel beds and I’d tell him how old and big of a sissy he was. I’d sleep on the floor after wrestling 3-4 matches and feel fine. Now I’m constantly throwing away mattresses and pillows because my back and neck get stuff if I don’t sleep just right. I’m 33. That’s when I have to go to work though. I can still sleep on a rock when camping while hunting and get up. It may hurt but at least I have the motivation of hunting involved.

Will be 61 this fall, kind of feel like the pictures of the "evolution of man" after I get up out of my recliner and walk across the room. Get new aches and pains every now and then wondering where that came from. Thought I had a cramp in the arch of my foot the other night, couldn't sleep. Researched it in the morning, plantar fasciitis, well crap. Judicious tape job and can get through the day on my feet on concrete. My big issue is my flexibility has disappeared. I know that I have to work on it but can't seem to do it consistently. I am packing about 20lbs too much, so if I can reduce that and gain flexibility should be good to go. Have a hike that I can do on the way home from work, about 900ft elevation and 2 miles up and back. Been trying to do that twice a week even when it was 90 degrees. Decided not to do it this past week when it was over 100, now with a bout of PF, we'll see. Going to Wyoming this fall with three others that have cow tags and I get to be chief guide, bottle washer, skinner and packer.

That odd quarter left doesn't pack well on a horse. It'll need two to keep the load balanced. So you're stuck brining a second quarter out on your back? 😉
No I've packed mules and horses my whole life I can get it even with adjusting and a small rock or two. The back straps tenderloin and all the misc cuttings go into a coupe bags and the weight can be moved accordingly. The last bull we killed wasn't very big so just dropped the head and horns in the light side and strapped it done and it road 4 miles back to camp

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back