Any one else working their dogs getting ready for September?

WildRHK

Here's a picture of my little male doing some practice in the back yard on a summer evening...

attachment.php

My dog has been acting real lazy lately. I cant blame him since the Iowa heat and humidity sucks this time of year.

Doing what we can, but ours is a pretty good sized lab and she gets hot fast. Swimming here by the house is out since the blue-green algae started a couple of weeks ago, so just some shorter walks and fetching games for now. We don't let her really get out of shape though, and early in the season she'll be too hot long before she's too tired!

img_1320.jpg
Yes runs in the morning when it is cool, then water work at Ft. Peck, seeing some hatches too!

Attachments

• sport 3.jpg
    sport 3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 278
View attachment 59810

Mine "in training"....
This will be my veteran's ninth campaign. The little one's going to be experiencing her first.
My PP has a similar white blaze on the neck! I'm trying to get some work in for him, but it's relegated to the evenings due to my schedule. Tracking (bumper or dead pigeon drags) and bumper retrieves. Gonna pick it up on the obedience now. Hope to get approved to join a local conservation club that has a bird training area and homing pigeons. Gotta get him better at pointing.

Every morning right after we share a couple donuts. He would prefer to not share.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 243
Early morning runs with some swimming when we get to the water......and sometimes she finds some nice cool mud.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 230
We do a good trail run (off leash with the GPS collar) 2-3 days a week early in the AM. Usually by 8AM it's getting a little too warm.

Also do a water day once a week, and some random days of fetch work.

I wish mine was training, she just had her 2nd kemo treatment ! It flat out sucks! image.jpg

Damn Pete, that sucks. We lost two in 2015, hope yours gets back to doing what she loves, soon. Give her an extra scratch for me.

Waiting for the next round at NAVHDA NA tests - excruciatingly long waits.............
also must train to be a fish dog.......

SneakyPete, hope your's gets to hunt this season....

Attachments

• jnav.jpg
    jnav.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 199
  • jyel.jpg
    jyel.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 198
I do to, thanks for the thoughts. She's been a great hunting and family member! image.jpg she loves the snow!

Starting to get ready for the fall... We just got home with the newest addition to the family...our male is still trying to figure her out.

Jubal_Hanna.jpg

Sneakypete: Good luck with the treatments. That's tough.

People that don't hunt their own dogs don't realize just how much those dogs become a part of their life...for years I owned dogs (pets), and they were great...but I never understood what I just wrote until I got my own hunting dogs, trained them and work with them. Things take on a whole another angle after you experience working dogs!

Owyheehuntr...Don't ya love seeing the little pups start to figure things out?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back