Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Any of you guys do any bowfishing??

snite66

I kinda got into it last summer just to have some fun, and it was just about more redneck fun than a guy can stand.

I spent most of the summer evenings walking along the river close to my house shooting Gar and Buffalo.

Down here in Illinois we have a problem with those Asian Carp "jumping carp you can see on youtube". I only got to go after them once with a guy that knows how to do it, and it is a blast once you learn how to shoot a little low as they peak on thier jump.

Since my girls bought me a new Hoyt bow for christmas this year, that let me turn my old High country that I had been using for the last ten years over to a full time bowfisher.

I was just wondering if any of you guys had any experience with it and or advice since I am pretty much a novice still.

Its awesome. Excellent beginning to upgrade, and dedicate one bow to a fisher. Very nice novice. Hunting out of a boat, on a platform, at night with a buddy and spotlights is insane. It is good for keeping form and shape as well! Have a blast. note: Maybe use a bat for the jumping carp, I do not recommend shooting them out of the air, maybe a little unsafe?

The way this guy taught me was we shoot out of the back of the boat. He has nets strung across front and down the sides to protect you from the ones that jump in front of the boat. He said when he started the guy driving the boat wore a catchers mask to protsct himself. All the shooting was done straight out of the back, so no one can turn and endanger anyone. We were up on the Illinois river so plenty of room to stay away form other boats. besides most of the people up there are glad for you to get rid of them so they are happy to give you room to do it.

DSC00361.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00256.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

I love shooting carp and gar! Probably more than fishing with a rod and reel.

Polarized glasses during they day and halogen lights and generator at night.I have shot fish just about every month out of the year as long as it isnt sept-nov.Some of the best shooting is at night when the ice first comes off.

I turned my old Bear Whitetail 2 into a bowfishing rig. We have a bunch of carp in some of the small lakes. I have a small John Boat I drift around in during the summer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back