MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Any Gunsmoke fans out there?

Yes. Gave every episode on my DVR. S as messy fun to watch the Indians and stuffed bears. Back then I was realistic, now it’s funny. But James Arness is o e of my favs.

Still record and run through them from time to time but was glued to them and the Rifleman as a kid. Got a pic taken with James Arnes as a kid outside our small town liquor store, he was there with his brother (Peter Graves) buying beer on the way to the redwoods. Don’t know how many countless school show and tells that Polaroid made it to.

I assume you are talking about the TV show. I enjoy the radio program on my way to work occasionally. More entertaining than listening to the same songs for the 10th time. Or sports talk especially when there are no sports seasons open worth following.

My father couldnt get enough of it after he retired. He loved them old western tv shows. I bought him a digital antenna for $35 bucks and he cancelled his cable as he only watched local news and GRIT tv. You would have thought I bought him a Cadillac and a condo at the beach.

I watch Gunsmoke every day at 12pm while having lunch.
Festus is my favorite character, it was amazing to see him
transform from a good looking singing cowboy and ladies
man to a crotchety old deputy marshal. 💥

Used to be a news addict, now I'm a Gunsmoke addict. Great show.
Favorite character?
It's close but I would like to hang out with Festus. That would be a hoot.

When I was a kid, I loved tv westerns, Gunsmoke was just another western among Rawhide, Rifleman, Have Gun Will Travel, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Johnny Yuma, Bonanza, Wild Wild West, Maverick, Cheyenne, Wagon Train, Branded and some others I can’t think of now.

I would just watch them, and dream of being a cowboy. Those shows all disappeared and now as an adult, I record several of those shows, but Gunsmoke stands out as a truly well written, well cast and acted show. Last night I watched an episode of Have Gun Will Travel and it was poorly written, filmed and acted. I didn’t notice that as a kid.

Gunsmoke to me was best in Black And White, the later colored programs became a little less appealing. The hard core good guy “shoot ‘em up” action was better in the early years. You can see the transition from Matt Dillon in the opening segment when he walked through the graveyard, to the different shootouts at the beginning to when they just filmed him running on his horse.

When I was a kid, I preferred Chester, but as I have matured, Ken Curtis was my favorite supporting actor, but the casting of all the characters was exceptional.

Doc, and how he was always wiping his mustache, Kitty was always attractive, but she had less poofy hair in early episodes. Quint was also a favorite, my dad loved him. The whole show stands head and shoulders above the rest of the field in tv westerns and it is due to all the aspects of being well written, well cast and exceptional acting that was beyond the norm of its contemporaries and is still relevant today as just good entertainment.

I hadn't watched it since it went off the air. I remember that day, talk show radio was all about how can they kill gunsmoke. You can hang out with festus, I'll take miss kitty

The Santa Rosa Roundup rodeo was a big deal in our small town, and actually in our state. Ken Curtis was the best headliner we ever had....great showman/singer, endearing comedian, and celebrity ambassador. The rodeo committee booked him every year he could make it. Festus blended well.

My parents lived in LA for a couple years back in the mid-60’s. James Arness lived just up the street. One day the Marshall had a garage sale at his house and my dad ended up buying an acoustic guitar from him. I managed to destroy the thing by riding it down the stairs like a sled a few months later. Bummer. It would’ve been a cool piece of memorabilia to hang onto.

I assume you are talking about the TV show. I enjoy the radio program on my way to work occasionally. More entertaining than listening to the same songs for the 10th time. Or sports talk especially when there are no sports seasons open worth following.
Yeah the tv show. Didn't know there was a radio program.

Nope.
Never watched much tv till a few years ago.
Besides,I always played the Indian with my bro & sisters in the neighborhood....lol

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back