Caribou Gear

Any "COCKFIGHTERS" out there?

cjcj

Police: Cockfighting bust leads to weapons, drugs

by Nathan Gonzalez - May. 16, 2010 01:01 PM
The Arizona Republic

A search by Maricopa County Sheriff's investigators into cockfighting in the West Valley on Saturday recovered drugs, weapons and cash, officials said Sunday.
MCSO deputies carried out a search warrant at Wintersburg and Baseline roads, near Tonopah, after they discovered an organized cockfighting event.

The search resulted in the arrest of 69 people into Fourth Avenue Jail on suspicion of being present at a cockfight, which is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Of those arrested, 20 were suspected illegal immigrants, the sheriff's office said.
Some of those arrested were wanted on outstanding warrants.

Investigators also towed 36 vehicles from the scene and recovered an unspecified number of weapons, drugs and cash, the sheriff's office said.

MCSO Animal Cruelty Unit investigators were called to the scene as a cockfight was in progress and several people watched, Sheriff's spokesman Lindsey Smith said Saturday. Numerous roosters were reportedly found caged in parked vehicles.

Been to the "fights" before. Is there drugs there. I have never sen it. But the rolls of cash they pull out for betting is not from picking peaches.
This Dutchman has always been able to go to the authentic fights that no English is spoken, except to me.

Raised them as a "kid" to make money...been to many a cockfight...love it...it is what they were bred to do....then a bunch of edumated folks moved down here....got the local Sheriffs not buying there way into office and raiding cockfights...."progress" is bad!
Went to one a cuppla years ago in the big arena in San Juan...guy next to me held up ten fingers and pointed to one on right...i nodded...I won...damn good thing...he handed me a Thou...I thought $10!!!!

Back in the late sixties my family lived in Spain for a year.I would have been about seven.I remember watching rooster fights(I'll avoid the @#)(# reference since that seems to invigorate certain members).It didn't seem that offensive and today i probably would enjoy the spectacle,however for some reason dog fighting I find maybe a little over the line.Its all the same,I suppose, but birds don't fall into the category of"mans best friend".Our society in the U.S. is too soft,no matter what.

We just had a bust a few months back over here on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. I had no idea this was so big.

While I was raised enjoying ....errrr...rooster fites and saw a few dog fites (didn't particularly like that), I like Bool Fites even more....occasionally they win!! Ole' Ole' Ohsheet!

I was having beers in a barn once in south Gawga after coducting a prescribed burn on a QDM property and remarked about "those stupid roosters I keep hearing near my house" (a rental while at school for Fish and Game) and that "some dumb redneck must be fightin the damned things":mad:?!

Old crusty dude in corner of barn said: "I'm that dumb redneck iffin ya live off Durden?"

:eek: I did.

And thankfully he had a laugh about it; followed by all of us riding over to his place and putting little sparing gloves on a few of them,.... and letting the roosters tear at each other for a while....?!

It was pretty neat actually, from some the point of just being exposed to something I likely never would have without meeting him?

Each rooster (he had about twenty) was seperated only by as far as they could reach and all had their own white 50Gal. barrel cut in two to live in, but were tethered to the chain on the ground at the base of it. This, as he pointed out, was to:" make them crazy for wanting to tear the other up 24/7":rolleyes:!

And they tried while we were there (non stop). The whole area was wrapped in short electric wire and my buddy, who was a bit of a cripple, actually got zapped in the crotch trying to cross it and fell coming face-to-face with a real fighter..!?

I still laugh about how fast he moved fearing being blinded by that thing:D?

The old dude also had an fat coon-hound that would bay when predators tried to get in at his prize rooosters (reminded me of the one from the Waltons). He too was tied up as "he couldn't be trusted not to eat them hisself", I was told.

Still, as fascinating as it was to make them spar and see what others in my rural neighborhood do with their spare time; the next morning when all 20 of the bastards crowed nonstop for the following 78 days stright, as they'd done the previous 150; I cursed that old dumb %#@* redneck and swore if I ever saw him again I'd punch him in the face!?

Almost miss that part of Gawga in a weird way..

Moe:cool:

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back